"God has appointed in the church ... miracles, then gifts of healings ..." (1 Cor. 12:28)
I desire and prefer immediate miracles. However, the Bible states that in addition to miracles, God has provided to us "gifts of healings" (both "gifts" and "healings" are plural in the Greek), which means there is a multiplicity of ways in which God can and will heal us in addition to providing an outright immediate miracle.
God's gifts are special enablements to perform various skills.
3 New Testament Words for Healing
Iaomai = instantaneous; Therapeua = process; Sozo = healing spirit, soul and body
- Iaomia (Strong's: G2390) is what we would consider an instantaneous miracle.
- Therapeua (Strong's: G2323) We get therapeutic from this word. It means some therapy or process that results in healing and well-being.
- Sozo—A word used to describe the healing of our spirits, souls and bodies.
Two of the above Greek words for healing are used by Paul in Acts 28:8-9.
And it happened that the father of Publius was lying in bed afflicted with recurrent fever and dysentery; and Paul went in to see him and after he had prayed, he laid his hands on him and healed him (Iaomia—instantaneous). After this had happened, the rest of the people on the island who had diseases were coming to him and getting cured (Therapeua—process healing).
Various 'Gifts of Healings'
Utilize these gifts of healings if you don't receive an instant miracle. Prayerfully meditate down through this list asking God to reveal to you the gifts of healings He wants you to apply to the situation.
- God's design of our bodies to heal themselves promotes health (3 John 1:2): A cut will always go to work healing itself. It never stops to ask if it is God's will. So we never need to ask if it is God's will to heal. It is! Jesus never asked if it was God's will to heal anyone.
- Good nutrition promotes health (Dan. 1:5-17): Daniel's skin glowed after only 10 days on a healthy diet.
- Herbs and homeopathic products promote health (Ps. 104:14): Herbs are God's medicine. Herbs are anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. Take them as necessary.
- Exercise promotes health (1 Tim. 4:8): "Bodily exercise profits" us in this life, and of course spiritual exercise profits for both this life and the next. "Use it or lose it" is one of our mottoes. God has designed our bodies to move.
- Emotional wholeness promotes health (Prov. 17:22): A joyful heart is good medicine. Laughter is healing. You remove psychosomatic roots to diseases by growing in faith, hope and love (1 Cor. 13:13).
- Fasting/cleansing promotes health (Isa. 58:6-11): Fast and your health "shall spring forth speedily": Water and juice fasts for three to 10 days are excellent means for your body to rest and detoxify and heal.
- Removing root causes of the infirmity promotes health (Lk. 6:43,44): The Bible teaches that if you have a "fruit" it came from a "root." So we ask God to reveal to us the root cause of the infirmity (i.e., fruit) which we are experiencing. With this knowledge, we can effectively deal with it and remove it. Ask, "Lord, what happened in my life at the time this infirmity showed up?"
- Anointing with oil and confessing sins one to another promotes health (James 5:14-17).
- Casting out demons promotes health (Matt. 8:16, 10:1-8; Mark 1:34, 6:13): Jesus healed many through casting out demons.
- Soaking in His healing presence promotes health (Hab. 3:4; Heb. 1:3; Col. 3:16): This approach to healing is to do a 15- to 20-minute soaking prayer where two or three people lay hands on the client and soak them in the healing presence of God. Each prayer counselor prays as they are led during the 15 minutes, using any/all of the nine manifestation of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 12:7-11).
- Roaring at the enemy promotes health (Isa. 31:4-5) - Consider this blog on roaring: You can roar together with God at the infirmity, commanding it to be gone in Jesus' name, and watching it dissipate into thin air.
- Commanding residual trauma be released from our cells promotes health (Mk. 11:22, 23): Lay your hands on the area affected by the trauma and speak, "I command the memory of the trauma from this (name whatever the trauma was) to be released from these cells in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ."
- Praying in tongues promotes health. It edifies your being and energizes your spirit. An energized spirit energizes one's body also (1 Cor. 14:2-4). Dr. Carl Peterson conducted a study at ORU in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Being a brain specialist, he was doing research on the relationship between the brain and praying or speaking in tongues. He found that as we pray in the Spirit or worship in the Spirit (our heavenly language), the brain releases two chemical secretions that are directed into our immune systems giving a 35% to 40% boost to the immune system. This promotes healing within our bodies. Amazingly, this secretion is triggered from a part of the brain that has no other apparent activity in humans and is only activated by our Spirit-led prayer and worship!
- Praise and worship promotes health. It allows you to enter before God's throne room and soak up His presence and light and healing love and power (Rev. 5:11-14; Ex. 34:29; Hab. 3:4).
Mark Virkler, Ph.D., has authored more than 50 books in the areas of hearing God's voice and spiritual growth. He is the founder of Communion With God Ministries (cwgministries.org) and Christian Leadership University (cluonline.com), where the voice of God is at the center of every learning experience. Mark has taught on developing intimacy with God and spiritual healing for 30-plus years on six continents. The message has been translated into over 50 languages, and he has helped to establish more than 250 church-centered Bible schools around the world.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.