Everywhere we turn, the atmosphere of life permeates with desperation—in politics, business, airports, homes, yes, even church, and you.
It is one week until the U.S. elections, and COVID-19 is like a haunting cloud over the entire planet. Instead of a season of hope, there is a feeling of darkness as we enter the winter months.
Everyone seems to be asking:
—"Will it ever be normal again?"
—"Will the church go back to what it once was?"
—"How many businesses are going to fail?"
—"Is this the most crucial election in history?"
There are seven keys for turning the darkness of desperation into a God called Holy Spirit destiny:
1. Choose Him—The Word says, "Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be filled" (Matt. 5:6) Desperation can create a hunger for His breath, touch and presence in every part of your life.
2. Open your heart—Desperation creates an open heart for the prophetic. The prophetic exalts the person of Jesus Christ and releases His light, life and love. Your words are to lift, build and cheer up every person you meet.
3. Rebuke the spirit of fear—He has given us the tools to shatter the spirit of desperation that comes from the enemy. Soaking and meditating in His principles helps us live in victory. "God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and a sound mind" (2 Tim. 1:7).
4. Lean on Him daily—Lean on the Word daily when surrounded by the pain of desperation and spirit of anxiety. When there seems to be no solution, seek out His Word. One of my all-time favorite promises is Psalm 27:13-14: "I believe I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord; be strong, and may your heart be stout; wait on the Lord."
5. Cry out—Desperation creates a longing for His power. We have, through grace, the promise of His Holy Spirit power. Cry out, do not be quiet, now. "The same Spirit that raises Christ from the dead deals in you" (see Rom. 8:11).
6. Listen for His voice—Desperation can drown out your ability to listen and hear the voice of God. Desperation can create a frenzy where your proof of being a follower and disciple of Christ is how busy you are. Remember: "Be still and know that I am God," (Ps 46:10a) "but those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength" (Isa.40:31a).
7. Walk in destiny—You are here for divine destiny. God is working for your good. You are to live each day with the purpose God has marked on your life. "I can do all things because of Christ who strengthens me" (Phil. 4:13).
As desperation sinks in, it will either prepare a funeral for hope or give birth to supernatural transformation. Distress can be the pallbearers for our selfishness, or it can give birth to a God-given destiny.
Choose His destiny.
You're beautiful; I see Jesus in you.
Mikel French has challenged spiritual awakening all across America, where many celebrations extended into multiple weeks, and has conducted celebrations in France, Sweden, Russia, Romania, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Serbia, Germany, South Africa, Malawi, the Philippines, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Haiti, Japan, Singapore, India and Thailand. He conducted an outreach celebration in Manila, Philippines, reaching 200,000 teenagers with the Book of Hope. Through the generous support of partners, he has presented the message of Jesus Christ to millions of people in the nation of Russia through televised citywide soul-winning celebrations. Mikel considers it an honor to assist in conducting the annual pastor's conference, where thousands of pastors from Russia's 11 time zones come for training, teaching and equipping. Mikel and his wife, Marsha, reside in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.