People-pleasing is a monster that will base your sense of well-being on how you think everyone feels about you. It's an impossible way of thinking and living, but millions are bound by this pattern.
People-pleasing is a rejection-based way of thinking. It trains you to fill your lack of self-esteem and self-worth by maintaining a life of keeping everyone happy. You will end up becoming a peace-keeper rather than a peace-maker.
If you are wondering if the people-pleasing monster lurks in your thinking, here are some questions you can ask to stir your discernment. If you answer yes to a bunch of these, you can be certain there is more freedom awaiting you as you confront this issue.
10 Signs of People-Pleasing
1. You try too hard to be seen as always doing the "right thing."
2. You have a constant pulse of how others are feeling about you and it deeply affects you.
3. When around other people, you tend to outwardly come into agreement with whatever is being said, even if inwardly you don't.
4. You tend to play to the opinion of whomever you are talking to.
5. You have a hard time keeping personal boundaries.
6. Receiving criticism is hard to process. It ends up consuming your thoughts.
7. You have a hard time making tough decisions, especially ones that won't please everyone.
8. You have a hard time saying no, especially without giving 20 reasons why.
9. When not affirmed by others, you become easily depressed.
10. You spend too much time trying to do things for other people who don't take the help you bring and change.
Mark DeJesus has served as an experienced communicator since the 1990s. As a teacher, author, coach and radio host, Mark is deeply passionate about awakening hearts and equipping people towards transformational living. His message involves getting to the core hindrances that contribute to the breakdown of our relationships, our health and our day-to-day peace. He is well-versed on struggles that originate within our thoughts. Through his own personal transformation, Mark is experienced in helping people overcome and live fruitful lives. He is the author of five books and hundreds of teachings. He hosts a weekly radio podcast show called "Transformed You" and blogs at markdejesus.com. His writings have been featured on sites like charismamag.com.
This article originally appeared at markdejesus.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.