As a fairly new disciple at 18 in YWAM (Youth With A Mission), I read and listened to anything I could in order to learn and grow in my exciting faith. I had heard the term "the anointing" quite often, but it confused me at first.
After I began to closely study Scripture and learn its real meaning, I began to learn its purpose and how to operate and grow in the anointing.
Strong's Exhaustive Concordance reads that "anointing" is a special endowment of the Holy Spirit. Its Koine Greek word is chrisma and refers to the teaching ministry of the Spirit. This shows us that the Spirit of God teaches us all truth as Jesus said in John 16:13, and will tell us what is yet to come—speaking only what He hears and glorifying Jesus. The anointing is the best "Bible college" to be enrolled in and is an exciting adventure with God!
After His water baptism and 40-day fast, Jesus went to the synagogue in Nazareth, returning to Galilee "in the power of the Spirit." In Luke 4:18, He read Isaiah 61 from the scroll. Then He handed the scroll back to the attendant, declaring, "Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."
This was Jesus' manifesto, publicly declaring His anointing as the Savior of the world. The apostle Paul made reference to the anointing in 2 Corinthians 1:21 saying, "Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and established the guarantee with the Spirit in our hearts." Looking closely into this, we see that, through Christ, God gives us His anointing and sets us apart to minister with His gifts in power, sealing and consecrating us with the Spirit, being firmly grounded in Jesus.
The Anointing does not point to the believer, but to God who empowers the believer. However, Jesus is the Anointed One, and you are a conduit for His power. When you walk in the anointing you have power to heal the sick, cleanse the leper, raise the dead and cast out demons in His Name.
One recent summer I was with Alive2Love in Honduras. We held a corporate anointing, reaching thousands of people. One night in a church service a person grabbed me, wrapping his arms around me and laughing sinisterly. Under the anointing, I had no fear and in the name of Jesus boldly commanded the demons to let go and to leave the person and never return. The person fell to the floor and was set free, rising up afterward to be incredibly filled with the Spirit.
1 John 2:20 reads, "But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things." The word "know" in this verse refers to the believer intuitively knowing truth from false teaching, holding firmly onto the gospel message and spiritual truth they originally received. The anointing keeps us in the truth by the Holy Spirit as we stay humble.
The anointing is upon you by the Spirit of God, teaching you what Jesus said and leading you further into the Scriptures. The anointing of the Spirit guides you as you read and consume the Scripture, loving the Lord, hungering and thirsting for His righteousness.
Here are five things you can do to continue to grow in the precious anointing:
1. Fellowship with the Holy Spirit every day, adoring Him (2 Cor. 13:14). Talk to Him directly, building friendship with Him, continuing dialogue with Him about everything. Invite Him to your daily Bible reading and ask Him questions. Write down His answers when He speaks to you.
2. Keep your heart pure, aware of His kindness and holiness. He is the Spirit of justice and burning in Isaiah 4:4 which is a purifying and cleansing fire that washes away sin and prepares for His glory and presence. According to Matthew 3:11, Jesus baptizes us in the Holy Spirit and fire, the experience occurring on the Day of Pentecost which empowers us for proclaiming the gospel. It also sanctifies us to walk in holiness in our lives.
3. Let the Holy Spirit teach you the Scriptures (1 John 2:27). As you do this, you will be assured that you remain in Him as He teaches you the truth and then you are to go and teach others what He has taught you. You are anointed to bring God's transformation to the world.
4. Value and cherish the anointing, not grieving the Spirit by our words and actions (Eph. 4:30). When we value and cherish His anointing, we make room for it in every part of our lives, expressing love and respect to Him, being careful with our words and conduct, cultivating His presence everywhere we go. As we do this we make ourselves available for Him to use us any time and see Him move in power through us.
5. Glorify Jesus (John 16:14). If you give testimony about miracles, signs and wonders, give reference to Him throughout all of it, because He was the One who accomplished the ministry. You were there, but He did the work through you and those with you. He manifested the healings and miracles, so give Him all the credit.
Jared Laskey is starting Destiny Open Bible Church in Virginia Beach, Virginia. He lives to see Jesus awaken this generation to the power of His Holy Spirit. You can follow him on twitter @jaredalaskey, or contact him through his website firebornministries.org. He also co-authored a book titled, Veronica's Hero.
Deborah, Esther and Anna carried a profound anointing. Become a Godly woman of boldness, power and strength. Get the Anointing Bundle.
The Holy Spirit wants to lead you into a deeper, more intimate experience with God. Everything changes in His presence. Enter His Presence.
Summer Reading Bundles + FREE GIFTS! These bundles include prophecy, health, prayer, and the supernatural. Grab your Favorite.