What should Christians look like? How should they act? What should they be known for?
There are many unique qualities that all Christians should harness as it pertains to living a biblical life, but below are eight things I believe anyone who calls themselves a Christ-follower should adhere to. The Christian life is all about finding true identity in that of Jesus and reflecting an image of his righteous nature.
Here are eight things Christians should be known for:
1. Love (1 John 4:8) – Love is an intrinsic value for any people who call themselves Christ followers. In reality, I don't believe that anyone can truly be called a Bible-believing Christian and not showcase the act of love. No matter the circumstance, offering a helping hand of love is what sets us apart from the rest of the world. God loves us, even when we don't reflect the same image in return. We owe it to others to offer them this same reality.
2. Grace (Ephesians 4:32) – The Grace of God has covered a multitude of sins, and the sacrifice made on the cross has paid the penalty for them. We are surely blessed. Although we don't deserve the grace we have been generously handed, Jesus continues to extend a helping hand of it regardless of our situation. In the same way, we as Christians should be known for the grace and forgiveness that we show others. It may not always be deserved, but we must always remember that neither was ours.
3. Purity (Philippians 4:8) – When Christians discuss the word "purity," one must understand that we are implying more than just the topic of sex. Not only should we be known for our pureness in relationships, but in our speech, actions and motives as well.
4. Patience (Galatians 5:22) – In today's fast-paced, drive-through, entrepreneurial world, patience is key. And while the rest of the world may like quick-fixes and turn-key circumstances, the Word of God has called us to be patient amidst all things. This may not always the easiest task, but it will always be the right path to choose.
5. Sacrifice (John 3:16) – The sacrifice made on the cross showcases the immeasurable amount of sacrifice that God presented towards his people. And while we will never be able to match the magnificent sacrifice that took place almost 2,000 years ago, this isn't to say we must not continue the legacy set before us. Christians should be known for their selflessness and sacrifice—qualities that will reflect an image of our Father in heaven.
6. Selflessness (Philippians 2:4) – Do you give only to hopefully receive, or do you give out of the abundance of your heart? The idea of selflessness presents a picture that says, "Whatever you need, I'm here to give it to you." Selflessness is an attribute that puts others before yourself and God before everyone else. Although it may not always be the easiest of tasks, showcasing selflessness says more about your heart than you might think. Everything we have was never really ours to begin with.
7. Commitment (Matthew 5:37) – When we as Christians say we will do something, we should make sure we follow through with the act. Although we all make mistakes and fall short, reflecting an image of Jesus' commitment to others showcases one of His greatest attributes. In the ways of Christ, we must show the world that we can be entrusted and that our word will not be broken.
8. Respect (1 Peter 2:17) – We may come across people with differing views than us, but this doesn't mean we can't respect in our action of disagreement. Today's media coverage feeds off of disrespectful Christians, highlighting stories that provoke many of us to stand back and say, "I would never do that!" We must be known as a community of respectful people, who even among disagreement can show love and grace.
Jarrid Wilson is a husband to Juli, dad to Finch, pastor, author, blogger, founder of Cause Roast. He's helping people live a better story.
For the original article, visit jarridwilson.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.