I am learning more and more that I am not wired like everyone else. After reading Marcus Buckingham's book, Standout, and taking the assessment, I discovered that he defines me as an "equalizing pioneer." In other words, he would describe me as an organized trailblazer. Thinking about my story, I find this to be true.
I am willing to do things other people are not even thinking about doing. I start a ministry that doesn't have another example that I know of. I work strategically so I can travel to some of the darkest places in the world. I start a blog about prayer and then walk out step by step to make it happen.
But what if you are not wired that way? Maybe you read those things and think they just sound like a bad day. You want excitement in your walk with God, but that just sounds out there. How do you get to that place?
One simple verse by Paul gives a powerful and practical solution. He says, "Only let us live up to what we have already attained" (Phil. 3:16, NIV). Basically he is saying that there are things that we don't understand, but we can always do what we know to do already. Just living up to what we believe already will keep us really busy even if we don't add anything new.
Here are some examples:
1. Pray and listen. Simply taking five minutes a day to prayerfully listen to God could radically change your next year.
2. Love your neighbor. Finding practical ways to love the people around you will take you on adventures that will touch you and them.
3. Encourage people. Even encouraging someone just once each day is like John Maxwell says: You are giving oxygen to their soul.
4. Cut out something destructive from your life. We don't normally need someone else to tell us what they are, but what would your life be like without whatever that thing is?
5. Rejoice easily. Enjoying God, life, friends and simple moments will bring adventure to the ordinary.
6. Give generously. When we give we make room for the miraculous in our lives.
Kevin Senapatiratne is head spiritual pyromaniac for Christ Connection. Kevin speaks around the United States helping Christians find the fun of prayer. He is the author of Enjoying Prayer. You can learn more about his ministry at enjoyingprayer.com.
For the original article, visit christconnection.cc.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!