Evangelist Rodney Howard-Browne offers basic tips for sharing the gospel
Having spent the last 25 years preaching the gospel to millions in an effort to spark an awakening in America, Rodney Howard-Browne is the walking definition of evangelist. Whether through practical outreaches, TV shows, webstreams, Bible schools or the hundreds of Great Awakening meetings he’s hosted around the nation, Howard-Browne has trained believers to share the gospel using the following basic guidelines:
- Start by asking a question (e.g., “Has anyone ever told you that God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life?”).
- Follow this with the key question: “If you were to die this very second, do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you would go to heaven?”
- Present the gospel. Share verses such as Romans 3:23, 6:23 and 10:13, and keep it simple—no Christianese! Remember, the power is in the gospel. You are putting the pressure on God’s Word to touch their hearts, not your persuasive words.
- Pray for them. Don’t ask if you can—chances are more likely they’ll say no—but boldly say, “I’m going to pray a quick prayer for you.” Then say something like, “Lord, bless [name] and his family with long and healthy lives. Jesus, make Yourself real to him and do a quick work in his heart. If [name] has not received You as his Lord and Savior, I pray he’ll do so now.”
- Give them the opportunity to pray with you (e.g., “If you’d like to receive the gift God has for you today, say this after me ...”). Then pray the sinner’s prayer with them (e.g., “Jesus, I ask You to come into my heart. Forgive me of my sin. Wash me and cleanse me. Set me free. Jesus, thank You that You died for me. I believe that You are risen from the dead and that You’re coming back again for me. Fill me with the Holy Spirit so I can live for you.”).
- Encourage them. Let them know that what they just prayed has given them a new life and that their sins are truly forgiven.
- Connect them. Invite them to your church or get their contact information so you can follow up with them.
For more free evangelism resources from Howard-Browne’s ministry, go to revival.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.