With hurricanes popping up in the Gulf and electrical blackouts in New York, it is a good time to remember that disasters, natural and man-made, are a part of life.
With a little planning, you can be ready:
- You can't prepare for Armageddon. But you should be ready if the lights go out and the banks go down for a few weeks.
- Credit cards may not work, and banks may be closed in a disaster. There is no substitute for green cash.
- You'll need two to four weeks of emergency green cash. Save up a little at a time on your budget.
- If the transportation and distribution system is in damaged, you won't be able to get any food. You should have at least a two-week supply.
- Canned goods and bulk items like rice and beans can be bought and stored at a reasonable cost. Get food you like and will actually use.
- Rotate food from your reserves into your diet. That way, the cost is part of your grocery budget.
- Consider getting an inexpensive solar cooker. Eating cold food in the dark is no fun.
- Public water can be contaminated or cut off in a disaster. Have a supply of bottled water on hand.
- Keep reserve supplies of things like soap and toilet paper. There is no reason to live through a crisis without civilized comforts.
- Public order may break down in disaster. Get a firearm and learn how to use it to protect your family.
- Check on disaster preparations in your church and community. You'll need someplace to send your starving neighbors.
- Don't overlook the option of leaving town. Keep your cars gassed up if you see trouble coming.
- When disaster strikes, it's too late to get ready. Be ready now.
- A few sensible preparations can give you great peace of mind. Then live your life without fear.
"The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty" (Prov. 22:3, NIV).
Ron Allen is a Christian businessman, CPA and author who serves in local, national and international ministries, spreading a message of reconciliation to God, to men and between believers. He is founder of the International Star Bible Society, telling how the heavens declare the glory of God; the Emancipation Network, which helps people escape from financial bondage; and co-founder with his wife, Pat, of Corporate Prayer Resources, dedicated to helping intercessors.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.