"It was a devastating car accident," a member of the Bible study said. "The healing was miraculous. "I had broken bones. They healed with no need for casts. I had cuts on my face. They healed with no scars. And doctors said I would lose my teeth as they had turned gray and they began to die due to the severe impact. But God healed them as they turned white before my eyes, leaving the doctors stunned."
We all listened in awe.
Yet when we hear of these miracles, we can't help but wonder why our own prayers aren't answered and why miracles seem to pass us by?
I imagine Joni Erickson might have wondered the same from time to time while spending her life paralyzed in a wheel chair.
But even when we question, God still insists we bring our requests before Him (Phil. 4:6). And when we do, here are five steps to make sure He will answer them.
5 Steps to Answered Prayer
- Readjust our priorities. If our No. 1 priority is to seek answers rather than seeking God Himself, God will be patient until we reprioritize by seeking Him ahead of seeking answers (Matt. 6:33).
- Resist the temptation to recite memorized, perfect prayers, with lovely words and deep insight. God simply wants the genuine expression of our heart (1 Sam. 16:7).
- Recognize that sometimes we don't know how to pray or what our requests should be. So, we can freely ask for Him to show us what to pray for (Ps. 139:23).
- Remember that His answer is always in His timing, not ours, because a thousand years in God's sight are like a day that has just gone by (Ps. 90:4).
- Relish in the fact that while we wait, He's working in us, in our heart, in our situation. He has the answered already prepared (Eph. 2:10).
And here's the reason we follow these steps: Because "This is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. So if we know that He hears whatever we ask, we know that we have whatever we asked of Him" (1 John 5:14-15).
While we pray, we're certain that in His timing and ways, we have what we ask. We receive what He offers. We expect what He promises. And while we wait, we take our eyes away from the circumstance and fix them on Christ instead.
Father, how often I have cried out to You, searching for words that perfectly express my needs. But You already know them, and You already know the painful details too. From now on, I will give you thanks for what You're already doing and how You're bringing Your promises to be. In Jesus' name, amen.
How deep is your belief in God's ability to hear you?
Janet Perez Eckles is an international speaker and the author of four books. She has helped thousands conquer fear and bring back joy.
This article originally appeared at janetperezeckles.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.