In about a week, we'll be remembering the day when my 19-year-old Joe began his life in the glory of heaven. In fact, those were the words that appeared in his obituary.
The doctor's words at the emergency room, "He didn't survive the stab wounds" ripped my heart.
Shock paralyzed me. Then disbelief turned to pain and heartache. But as days went by, God's comfort wrapped my heart.
And now, 16 years later, as I travel across the U.S. and abroad, I humbly serve as an illustration of sorrow turning to gratitude.
Did you know, no matter what you face, gratitude is the secret to contentment?
Here's a challenge for you: See if contentment will fill you if you embrace these truths:
- Our problems don't have to rule us; God's promises should.
- There's an already prepared reunion with our loved ones in heaven. Mourning may come during the night, but joy comes in the morning.• There is no pain that outlasts God's power to ease it.
- There's no fear when we make Him our fortress and refuge.
- God renews everything we surrender to Him.
- God provides enough peace for the moment and enough comfort for a lifetime.
- It's not about our sorrow, but about His serenity to calm our soul.
- It's not about our worry, but about the wonder of His reassurance.
• It's not about the impossibilities, but about Him who makes all things possible.
• It's not about our emptiness, but about How He provides all.
As you read this, you might be facing your own heartache. And I pray you embrace the truth that God's comfort doesn't delay, His restoration isn't limited and His peace is freely given.
Will you choose to receive it?
Janet Perez Eckles is an international speaker and the author of four books. She has helped thousands conquer fear and bring back joy.
This article originally appeared at janetperezeckles.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Subscribe to Charisma and join a family of believers that enjoy God's presence and operate in the gifts and the fruits of the Spirit. Live your life in the Spirit!
Woman of God, you are anointed. Step into your destiny and live a life of boldness, power and strength. Get the Anointing Bundle plus 2 Free Gifts. Learn More.
Learn to hear God speak, encounter the Holy Spirit, and soak in His presence. Order the Holy Spirit Series for you and get a FREE set for a friend. View Special Offer.