When I first started homeschooling, I had an idea of what it would look like. I ordered a huge box curriculum, bought old school desks and prepared to do school at home. I've learned many things along the way. Here are things I wish I'd known 25 years ago:
- Don't compare! Don't compare yourself with other moms or your kids with other kids.
- Seek joy in each day, and don't stress over the small stuff.
- Remember that kids learn by play. Give them time and space to be creative without electronics.
- Listen to your kids. What do they need from you? Sometimes kids act out because they want your attention. They may just need a hug or five minutes of face time with you to feel settled and at peace.
- Figure out how your homeschooling day/week works best for you. Someone's perfect plan might not be right for your homeschool.
- Don't push your kids to do too much too soon. Preschoolers and kindergartners don't need a full curriculum. Read aloud lots of good books. Let your kids get enough sleep. Spend time outdoors enjoying nature.
- Feed your soul with God's Word, and strengthen yourself daily with God's strength.
- Give yourself grace. You will mess up. Every homeschooling mom does.
- Don't feel what you're doing is insignificant. Training your kids to follow God is a great work.
- Every child is different. What works for one child might not work for another. Learn what helps your kids to focus and what motivates them. Know their passions. This will help you teach in ways they can understand.
Read the rest of the list on For the Family HERE!
Tricia Goyer is a busy mom of 10, grandmother of two and wife to John. Somewhere around the hustle and bustle of family life, she manages to find the time to write fictional tales, delighting and entertaining readers and non-fiction titles, offering encouragement and hope. A best-selling author, Tricia has published 50 books to date and has written more than 500 articles. She is a two-time Carol Award winner as well as a Christy and ECPA Award nominee. To connect with Tricia, go to triciagoyer.com orfacebook.com/authortriciagoyer.
This article originally appeared at triciagoyer.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.