My Mom held a broken piece of metal in the air. "Look at this," she said.
She and my dad had gone to get their car washed. And when they returned home, they found the car door handle had been broken. Those responsible, rather than admit their guilt, had tossed the piece on the driver's seat.
Broken piece in hand, we headed back to the car wash.
"We have to view the video cameras," the manager said. "Unless we see it, we can't take responsibility.
End of story. They glued the piece back. Cameras come in handy, don't they?
But in real life, we're all also watched, closely and constantly. He who watches us is the loving Father, with care in His heart, compassion in his approach and forgiveness in His plan.
I'm glad He's watching, aren't you? This way, we don't have to remind him of how hard the journey is. Or we don't have to point out the areas that need fixing. He already knows, and as He closely watches us in action, we can rest and declare out loud that He has this.
And since He has all under control, working to bring the perfect solution, we, in our busy world, in our flawed ways, have an important task—to pay attention to our heart. What does it contain? Our heart holds the emotions that can either break us or keep us running the race to victory.
5 Coaching Points
And since that race run is fueled by our heart's content, here are five coaching points right from God's Word:
- Empty your heart of sin, or wipe out junk that doesn't please God or resentment from the past because "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God" (Matt. 5:8).
- Let go of the material stuff, the superficial longings and desires of what you think your life should be. Instead, "store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroy and where thieves do not break in nor steal, for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (Matt. 6:20-21).
- Once dark emotions are tossed out, fill your heart with life-giving praises: "I will give thanks to You, O Lord, with my whole heart; I will declare all Your marvelous works. I will be glad and rejoice in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High" (Ps. 9:1-2).
- Though the darkest valley might cover your security, can you be bold enough to echo these words? "But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the Lord's praise, for he has been good to me" (Ps. 13:5-6, NIV).
- With unwavering faith, fill your heart with God's truth and speak His promises upon your life. "Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup; you make my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance" (Ps. 16:5-6).
Complete security comes when we receive that delightful inheritance. And when our heart rejoices, the enemy retreats. When we search our heart, God speaks healing. When we guard our heart, evil flees. When we equip our heart with God's Word, triumph is already there.
Father, thank you that right now, You're watching my every move. You know well how often I let my heart be broken, shattered by adversity. But now I know that when it's filled with what You tell me, my heart will not fear, my life will not be ruined. And my future will not be dim, but will be secure, hopeful and bright. In Jesus' name.
Will you take time today and examine your heart?
Janet Perez Eckles is an international speaker and the author of four books. She has helped thousands conquer fear and bring back joy.
This article originally appeared at janetperezeckles.com.
Deborah, Esther and Anna carried a profound anointing. Become a Godly woman of boldness, power and strength. Get the Anointing Bundle.
The Holy Spirit wants to lead you into a deeper, more intimate experience with God. Everything changes in His presence. Enter His Presence.
Summer Reading Bundles + FREE GIFTS! These bundles include prophecy, health, prayer, and the supernatural. Grab your Favorite.