Each of us has had dreams that have died.
In the aftermath, you've probably wondered, "Where is God? And can He resurrect this mess?" You're not alone! Every believer I know has faced a crisis that has rocked their faith at one time or another.
Mary Magdalene must have wondered where God was as she stood outside the tomb weeping (John 20:1-2, 11-17). Imagine her crushed heart! Jesus had been crucified, and now His body was missing. She had witnessed many miracles of Jesus and had even experienced her own. Jesus had delivered her from demonic activity and set her free. But the last few days had felt devastating. Every hope and dream of Jesus ushering in a new kingdom
As she leaned in to the tomb, two men dressed in white spoke and asked her why she was crying. Trying to stifle her sobs, Mary responded, "They have taken my Lord away ... and I don't know where they have put him" (Luke 1:13b). Seconds after the words were out of her mouth, Mary felt someone standing behind her. Blinded by her own grief, she didn't recognize that it was Jesus. It wasn't until Jesus spoke Mary's name that she realized Jesus hadn't abandoned her. He had kept His promise.
When your dreams die, here are five truths to help you remember that God is in the business of resurrections:
- Jesus weeps with you. We don't see Jesus weeping at the empty tomb where Mary cried, but we do see Him weeping at another tomb. Remember the story of Lazarus? Even though Jesus knew He was going to raise Lazarus from the grave, He stood there with tears streaming down His Almighty face weeping with Mary and Martha (John 11:35). When life is falling apart, remember: Jesus empathizes and weeps with you.
- Jesus knows your name. God may seem aloof when your dreams die, but He has not abandoned you. He calls you by name. He invites you to open your eyes and see Him in His risen form ready and able to help you.
- Jesus values community. After Mary saw the risen Christ, He told her to go tell and be with the other disciples. Jesus invites us to community whether we're grieving or celebrating. The next time one of your dreams dies and you feel devastated, lean into your community. Ask them to pray for you and to walk the journey of grief with you.
- Jesus brings beauty from the ashes. When your dreams die, it's hard to believe that God can bring something good out of the bad. And yet that's the message of the resurrection. Through His death and resurrection, Jesus takes the evil in our lives—the seemingly bad—and transforms it into something beautiful. He replaces old desires with new and vibrant dreams.
- Jesus keeps His promises. Just as He kept His promise to Mary that He would rise after His death, He will keep the promises He's made to you. Promises like:
- He will keep your mind at peace as you focus on Him (Isa. 26:3).
- He'll never leave for forsake you (Heb. 13:5).
- Nothing can separate you from His love (Rom. 8: 37-39).
- He promises to supply all your needs (Phil. 4:19).
Friend, as you face disappointments and devastation, remember, every dream that dies opens the way for a resurrection. Jesus is in the business of resurrections.
Here's a question for you to consider: How have broken dreams in the past paved the way for a resurrection of new dreams in your life?
Leave a promise from Scripture that has been particularly helpful to you when you've faced a crisis. Your promise will encourage others.
Becky Harling, an author, certified speaker, leadership coach and trainer with the John Maxwell Team, is an energetic and motivational international speaker inspiring audiences to overcome their greatest life challenges and reach their full God-given potential. Her most recent book is How to Listen So People Will Talk. Her husband, Steve Harling, is the president of Reach Beyond, a nonprofit organization seeking to be the voice and hands of Jesus around the world. Connect
This article originally appeared at beckyharling.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
AMAZING CHRISTMAS DEALS: (1) Buy A Set, Get A Set FREE on all Life in the Spirit Bundles. (2) Save 30%-60% on all Tote Bag plus Book Bundles. (3) Save 50% off Select Bibles plus receive a Free Gift. Visit the Charisma Store to view all our specials. U.S Residents always get FREE Shipping!
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!