Your words are powerful! What you speak out loud often becomes cemented in your mind. That's why it's so important to speak the right words out loud! The wise writer of Proverbs wrote, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue" (Prov. 18:21a). Wow! When you think about that statement and mull it over in your mind, it has profound implications.
Peter, one of Jesus' closest friends, often spoke impulsively and put his foot in his mouth. One time, after Peter suggested that Jesus should not go to the cross, Jesus rebuked Peter, saying, "Get behind me Satan!" (Mark 8:33b). Ouch! I'm sure Jesus's rebuke stung Peter's ego and caused him a great deal of sorrow. Thankfully, that's not the only statement of Peter's that's remembered in Scripture.
Another time, Jesus was travelling through the region of Caesarea Philippi. Many people in that region worshipped the god Pan. As Jesus and His disciples strolled through town, Jesus asked, "Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?" (Matt. 16:13). The disciples answered that some thought He was a great prophet or teacher, others thought He was John the Baptist or Elijah. Then Jesus turned to His friends, looked them square in the eye, and asked, "But you, who do you say that I am?" (Matt.16:15b). Ah, such a profound question!
Peter boldly proclaimed out loud: "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God" (Matt. 16:16). This was Peter's most profound declaration, and I believe it positioned him for greater anointing.
Here's the thing: Your words and mine also have the power of life and death. What you speak out loud will shape your attitude and the attitudes of your spouse, children, friends and neighbors, depending on who hears you. Knowing that, I would like to suggest that we become more aware of our words and the impact they have on others. As I've been mulling these thoughts around in my mind, I thought I would give you a few examples of positive and godly declarations you can make this week to have that will increase how God will use you!
Five Great Declarations of Faith
- "God, You are good!" Speak it out loud whenever you're doubtful or afraid. By speaking these words out loud you make a declaration over yourself and faith rises.
- "Jesus, I trust You." I have learned to speak this out loud whenever I am fearful or worried. It has a powerful way of changing my attitude.
- "Jesus, You are all I need." When we are in seasons of deficit, this is a great reminder. At the end of the day, if I have Jesus, I have all that I need.
- "Lord Jesus, You are victorious!" The enemy of your soul and mine does not want us to believe that Jesus is victorious. When I feel as though I am under attack and I notice that my attitude is slipping, I declare out loud, "Lord Jesus, You are victorious and You will be victorious over my life. Help me to walk in victory today!"
- "Lord God, power and might are in Your hand." When you are facing a problem that feels insurmountable, declare this out loud over the situation. Praise God by faith that He has the answer and that He is bigger than whatever problem you're facing.
Friend, the power of your words is huge. So use your words wisely this week. Don't give in to speaking ugly words to other people or to yourself. Instead, declare what you know to be good and true over your life and over the lives of those you love. And do you know what? I'm praying for you as you read this, that this will be a week of victory for you. And you can pray for me as well, that I will speak boldly true declarations about God's goodness and love.
I'd love to hear your favorite declarations. Leave a declaration of truth about God here!
Becky Harling, an author, certified speaker, leadership coach and trainer with the John Maxwell Team, is an energetic and motivational international speaker inspiring audiences to overcome their greatest life challenges and reach their full God-given potential. Her most recent book is How to Listen So People Will Talk. Her husband, Steve Harling, is the president of Reach Beyond, a nonprofit organization seeking to be the voice and hands of Jesus around the world. Connect with Becky at beckyharling.com, Facebook or Twitter.
This article originally appeared at beckyharling.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!