Taking a warm tray of muffins out of the oven fills a room with a wonderful aroma. It's fun and good training to bake with kids. They appreciate the food once they make it, and the task builds life skills.
After baking, sit and share the fresh bread. Relax and enjoy the time together. Breaking bread together often opens up hearts and conversations. Try an evening with several types of bread and discuss all the many varieties.
Add to the experience of baking by reading about bread in the Bible:
- Feeding a crowd with bread (and fish) in John 6
- Jesus' announcement that He is the bread of life and that statement's significance (John 6:35)
- A dream about bread (Judg. 7:13)
- Working for bread/necessities (Gen. 3:19)
- Jesus and Communion (Matt. 26:26-30)
- Prayer for daily bread (Matt. 6:9-13)
- The value of bread scraps (Matt. 15:27-28)
- Manna from heaven (Num. 11:7-9)
- Waves of grain (Ps. 72:16)
Non-dairy Blueberry Muffins
(makes 12 large muffins)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
½ cup oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 pint (1 ¼ cups) of berries (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries or a mix)
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the oil and eggs.
- Mix the dry and liquid ingredients together.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Pour into greased muffin tins (or use liners)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Karen Whiting is an international speaker, former TV host and author of 25 books. One of her new releases is Gift of Bread: Recipes for the Heart and the Table in which she shares heartwarming stories around bread, biblical insights into bread and 58 recipes plus several lists of tips on making and serving bread.
This article originally appeared at just18summers.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.