I strongly encourage everyone to please read through these statistics and watch Jose's video. Domestic violence rarely begins in violence. It begins with abuse—mental, psychological abuse.
- Every nine seconds in the U.S., a woman is assaulted or beaten.12
- On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.1
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have been victims of some form of physical violence by an intimate partner within their lifetime.1
- 1 in 5 women and 1 in 7 men have been victims of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
- LISTEN—Listen without judgment. Do not question why they stay.
- ENCOURAGE—Domestic Abuse is predominantly emotional and mental abuse, which depletes the self-worth of the victim and keeps them in fear and unable to leave. Build up their esteem and if possible encourage them to get counseling if possible.
- HELP CREATE A SAFE ESCAPE PLAN—Do the research for them and find the nearest shelter. Call for them and find out what steps are needed to be taken for that particular shelter in order for them to be used as a "escape plan" when and if the victim chooses to leave. Many shelters also offer free counseling. Be willing to go with them to visit the shelter.
Watch, share and save a life.
Shannon Dietz is the author of EXPOSED: Inexcusable Me...Irreplaceable Him and founder of Hopeful Hearts Ministry, an advocacy non-profit organization (501 c3) giving a VOICE to survivors of abuse. She is a featured columnist with Choose-Now Ministries.com "Shannon Deitz: On Hope", has been featured on catholiclane.com, Lifestyle & Charity magazine and Catholic Women's magazine. She and her husband, Neal, live in Kingwood, Texas, where they are active in their local church and community. The couple has two sons, Ryan and Seth, who provide them with endless joy and reason to continually count their blessings.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.