The beginning of this year, I felt the desire to read through my Bible again. I’ve read it through six times before, and putting God’s Word in my heart changes my life. On a whim, I asked if anyone on Facebook would like to join me—200+ women did!
Reading through the Bible is the same as providing water, soil and sunlight to a new plant. It’s what’s needed for God’s children to grow!
Growing up in Sunday school, I knew a lot of Bible stories. I knew about David and Goliath, Noah’s ark and the miracles of Jesus. Sunday school lessons are often laid out by theme, which is great for building morals. But what I didn’t understand was how the pieces fit together. I didn’t understand how Adam’s story connected with David’s story and how they both connected with Jesus’ story.
Are you considering reading through the Bible? Start today! You don’t have to wait until the new year. You can start any day, any time. And if you do, here are five benefits:
1. When you read and know the Bible, God’s Holy Spirit can remind you of specific messages or stories that relate to your personal concerns.
2. When you read and know the Bible, God’s Holy Spirit can teach you Bible people’s choices—both wise and unwise. And you can make better decisions for yourself.
3. When you read and know the Bible, God’s Holy Spirit will guide you to Bible promises when you most need direction.
4. When you read and know the Bible, God’s Holy Spirit will fill you with God’s peace. The worries of this world are pushed to the back burner.
5. When you read and know the Bible, God’s Holy Spirit will convict you of God’s mandates. You learn how to discern truth versus lies. You discover what’s right and what’s wrong. The pride you have in your own efforts diminishes, and you look to God. Your sin stands out, and you turn to Him.
I’m a different person who makes different choices when I read God’s complete Word.
So, What’s the Problem?
The more time I spend in God’s Word, the more I need it. I don’t function well without it. When I don’t have time to read and meditate on God’s truths, my soul feels weary and hungry. And this hunger problem leads to one cranky, overwhelmed wife and mom!
More than once I’ve been on the brink, and I’ve told my husband, “I just need 15 minutes to read and pray.” And it works.
God’s Word is addicting. My soul craves it on busy, harried days. I need His Word in order to be reminded, taught, guided, filled and convicted. Without it, my own desires, demands and decisions lead me astray.
Thankfully, even when I’ve feel soul empty, there is an easy fix. I open up God’s Word and read. As I do, my problems aren’t solved overnight, but I’m changed ... and from there, God is able to do His work on all that’s around me too.
Tricia Goyer has written more than 35 books, including both novels that delight and entertain readers and nonfiction titles that offer encouragement and hope. She has also published more than 500 articles in national publications such as Guideposts, Thriving Family, Proverbs 31, and HomeLife Magazine.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.