Community is a big part of the life we live. And while some of us may have a bigger sense of community than others, the importance of having friends to confide in, spend time with and celebrate alongside is essential to living the community-based life Jesus has called us to.
Finding new friends is easy, but finding great friends can be quite tough. True friendships should last a lifetime, and I believe these 10 qualities are a good start when searching for friends you can truly do life with:
1. Reliable –Flakes are lame. Nobody likes to spend time with someone who constantly backs out of plans and shows up late. You'll find yourself getting more and more frustrated with this person each and every time it happens. Mind you, not everyone is perfect, but you want someone in your life who is reliable and can be counted on.
2. Trustworthy –Don't set yourself for friendship failure by befriending someone you cannot trust. Friendships with trust issues will always be a burden, especially if they are not handled carefully.
3. Driven –You are who you hang out with, regardless if you want to believe it. When you constantly surround yourself with people who are driven, it will continuously force you to evaluate your life, your goals and your dreams. Driven people make great friends. Why? Because they encourage you to step up your game for the betterment of you and your family.
4. Loving –It's always great to have friends who are loving in your life. Whether they are showing up to comfort you in a time of need or supporting you and your family during times of success, a loving friend is always a joy to have.
5. Forgiving –Grace is key to any long-lasting friendship. Friends who can forgive each other stay together. We forgive because Christ first forgave us (Col. 3:1). And while resentment is sometimes hard to let go of, showing forgiveness will always bring liberation and peace. It's always the better choice.
6. Honest –Find someone who will tell you the tough stuff, even it's hard to talk about. Honesty is key to any great friendship, and I believe having people in your life that won't hide the truth from you is something worth more than gold.
7. Supportive –Whether it is directed towards your goals, dreams or relationship with God, having friends that are supportive towards your personal goals is always a must. There is no use in spending time with people who aren't supportive of who you are or what you do.
8. Humble – Pride comes before the fall (Prov. 16:18). While there is nothing wrong with having friends who are confident in who they are and what they do, I'd recommend staying away from opening up your life to people who are "all about them." You'll want to surround yourself with people who are confident in who they are, but also willing to humble themselves and praise the success of others.
I'm sure there are plenty of other great qualities to look for in friends, but I hope these help in your journey of finding great community.
Jarrid Wilson is a husband to Juli, dad to Finch, pastor, author and inspirational blogger. His articles have been viewed by tens-of-millions, showcased on some of today's hottest talk shows, and featured on national news stations worldwide. He is a dynamic speaker whose outside-the-box perspectives have gained him national recognition from some of today's most influential Christian leaders and pastors. He is also the author of the book titled, Jesus Swagger.
For the original article, visit jarridwilson.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.