If advice on finding inner peace is what a man is seeking, he will find no shortage of it with just the slightest research. The world will count on us believing that the more we get, the happier we will be.
But where does that leave us? It leaves most men stressed out and trying to live up to expectations that aren't attainable. Many men are as riddled with anxiety as women; they just hide it in different ways.
Peace is acquired from the action of giving. This is not something we are taught as men. It's something we learn only from experience. We are created to help and protect one another.
Peace is derived from helping a person up with a hand and a smile, not kicking him back down. This applies to how we lead our families and participate in our marriages. In this article, we will take a look at how to truly become at peace. Here are five realizations that can help you find inner peace:
1. Assets do not equal worth. Far too many men were taught the mindset that the more a man acquires the more his personal value increases. It's a poison that too many have been tricked into drinking. Needing the bigger house, the better car, and the latest and greatest of everything, our self-worth becomes tangled up with depreciating materials. Peace is found in giving, not getting.
2. Sexual conquest is not power. A man's natural sex drive is used against him by robbing him of both his money and his soul. It's not meant to be cynical to say that sex sells. It does. Big time. Sex is not about power, conquest or alpha male stuff. Sex is awesome because two souls committed to one another by marriage have merged as one in the most intimate act human beings are capable of. This key aspect of a man's inner peace can be gained through true intimacy with his wife and that's where our focus needs to be.
3. Envy is a personal wrecking ball. In the creative world of music and writing, I learned an important lesson long ago. It doesn't matter how good you think you are, somebody is always better. That applies across the board. We are to focus on being the best version of ourselves and not have one eye always on the other guy, envious of what he has. That transfers our energy and peace away. Reel it back in by practicing patience, contentment and seeking personal growth. You're amazing because you were created to be.
4. Be your own man. "Don't let other people decide who you are," said Bob Goff. That could possibly be the most important short sentence you'll ever read. For me, I spent half of my life, to this point, trying to live up to other's expectations, and I've spent the other half happy and thriving. You will never find inner peace being somebody you aren't. It's impossible.
5. Sincere prayer equals peace. Prayer is the most powerful tool we have at our disposal. It is essential, not only to our inner peace but to our personal growth and joy, we have a sincere and meaningful prayer life. Prayer is the direct connection our soul has to its Creator. A man who will not bend his knee to the higher authority will never know peace. This is where faith becomes real and tangible. It's where we are molded.
Prayer will lead us where we are meant to be and that just so happens to be, where inner peace also resides. Never confuse inner peace with being comfortable. If we are where we are supposed to be, it will remain constant in us through all storms.
Sound Off: What are some ways you have learned to bring inner peace back into your life?
Huddle Up: Get together with your friends and discuss different ways possessions have owned you in life.
© 2015 All Pro Dad. All Rights Reserved. Family First, All Pro Dad, iMOM, and Family Minute with Mark Merrill are registered trademarks. Used with permission.
For the original article, visit allprodad.com.
Readers are Leaders! Subscribe now and get 3 magazines for the price of 1. Get Charisma, Ministry Today and SpiritLed Woman all for $24. YES - Sign me up!
3 Reasons Why you should read Life in the Spirit. 1) Get to know the Holy Spirit. 2) Learn to enter God's presence 3) Hear God's voice clearly! Click here to draw closer to God!