Depression is a storm that overtakes the souls of many. It's a storm that brings monstrous waves, huge swells and at times makes you feel like you are going to capsize—possibly drown.
Even though you might feel hopelessly lost, remember Jesus is in that boat with you.
The Bible was not created for us to read and feel good about every day, but to speak truth into our lives. One of these important truths is the strength and support God will give to you when you feel like your own strength and support has vanished.
Simply reading these Bible verses won't heal you of your depression, but they will help you ground yourself in truth so that when these feelings arise, you can remember in whom you are rooted.
9 Bible Verses to Remind You of the Strength and Love the Lord Gives You Each Day
1. He will give you strength when you feel powerless. "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, yes, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand" (Isa. 41:10).
Some days, you may feel as though you have lost all your strength. That the world could go on perfectly fine without you. Remember: You are loved and wanted by a God bigger than the entire universe.
When you are feeling lonely, anxious or depressed, look to our heavenly Father, for He will give you the strength you need to keep going.
2. God is always by your side, even in the darkest of moments. "The Lord, He goes before you. He will be with you. He will not fail you nor forsake you. Do not fear, nor be dismayed" (Deut. 31:8).
We have nothing to fear in life because God walks beside us. When you feel lonely, remember that even if no one else is there, He is. When you experience feelings of fear, remember, He will never leave you. Other people will come and go, but God will never leave you.
3. He will protect you. "But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, my glory and the One who raises up my head" (Ps. 3:3).
When you are feeling weak, hopeless or lost, look to God. He works as a shield around you, protecting you from harm. Even when you feel completely broken by the feelings of depression, He is still there to lift you up and shield you from harm.
When you are feeling depressed, remember, He is there to protect you. He will lift you out of your sorrows and place you on solid ground.
4. He hears your cries. "I waited patiently for the Lord, and He turned to me, and heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, and set my feet on a rock, and established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth, even praise to our God; many will see it, and fear, and will trust in the Lord" (Ps. 40:1-3).
He hears your cries and will rescue you from whatever pit you are in. He will steady you and put a song in your heart that you've never experienced before.
When others ignore your cries for help or your tears from pain, God will be there. Not only is He there, but He is waiting to lift you up out of the pit and place you in a spot where you can stand firm.
5. He is near to the brokenhearted and will save those whose spirits feel crushed. "The Lord is near to the broken-hearted, and saves the contrite of spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all" (Ps. 34:18-19).
When you are facing depression, you can feel as though your spirit is entirely crushed, as though there is no life left in you. When you are experiencing this pain, remember He is near to you.
When you are feeling sad and upset, look to the God who created you and remember that He wants you and is near to you.
6. He will bring you rest when you feel weary and burdened. "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me. For I am meek and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light" (Matt. 11:28-30).
When you feel as though you can't go on, and there is nothing left of your strength, remember He is there to give you rest. When you feel as though you have nothing left to give, and your body is burdened, look to Jesus.
He is not only the light for you at the end of a dark tunnel, but also a place of rest.
7. He will renew your strength, even if you feel helpless. "But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary, and they shall walk and not faint" (Isa. 40:31).
Depression can make you feel like there is not an ounce of strength left in your body. It can cause you to feel like you've reached a point of no return, but in reality, there is no pit too deep for God.
He will renew your strength, despite how helpless you feel.
8. He will not break you. "A bruised reed he shall not break, and the smoking flax he shall not quench; he shall bring forth justice faithfully" (Isa. 42:3).
In this Bible verse, we read that God will not break a bruised reed nor will He blow out a small flame. What is a bruised reed? It is a reed that is almost broken. What is a smoldering wick? A flame that has nearly gone out.
Sound similar to your feelings? It's easy to feel like you are about to burn out, or about to break when you're dealing with depression, but remember that God is there.
God will not break the reed or blow out the flame. He is there to help nurture you and heal you.
9. Nothing can separate you from the love of God. "For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, neither angels nor principalities nor powers, neither things present nor things to come, neither height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Rom. 8:38).
Finally, remember that there is nothing in this world that can separate you from the love of God. There is no sin too bad, no failure too deep and no insecurity too large to ward off the love of God. While everything else in the world will fail you, He is the one constant who never will.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.