In a world that often values surface image more than spiritual heart health, attention to matters of the heart must be something we daily pursue and steward. We must be intentional about this.
Our hearts not only need healing, but regular nurturing and tending to. In doing so, here are some daily practices you can put into place that will help keep your heart healed and healthy:
1. Remain humble. Because of brokenness and past hurt, pride can develop in our hearts, keeping people from seeing our weakness or flaws. This keeps true humility away. Biblical humility is not self-deprecation, as some show. Its simply living authentically in a true posture that is not superior to others or God. True humility can be felt and it cannot be faked. It usually involves accepting weakness, vulnerability and need in our hearts. We are not too far beyond needing the help of God and others. God loves it when we admit weakness and vulnerability! The Bible says He gives more grace to the humble, but He will resist the proud (James 4:6).
2. Forgive constantly. You will be challenged constantly all day with experiences and thoughts that will cause you to become offended. This snare of offense leads us into planting a root of bitterness if we are not careful. Learning to forgive daily keeps bitterness at bay and helps us see constantly through a lens of love and compassion for others. Our hearts love it when we forgive! It releases pressure off of us and detoxifies our system.
3. Facing your hurts and disappointments. We don't like facing pain, but facing the deep issues of our lives is good for the heart. It can be painful at first, but our hearts actually become stronger when we go through a divine healing process with God. Maturity comes when we learn how to process disappointment and even talk out our pain with God and others. We may weep for a while, but we come out of it stronger and more able to help others in their pain.
4. Facing fear. Jesus mentioned that in the last days, men's hearts will fail because of fear (Luke 21:26). I believe this is both spiritual and physical, especially because our spiritual heart condition affects our physical heart condition. But more than that, we must realize that fear will not go away from the world. it will grow and increase, but it does not have to rule over the people of God.
In this day and age, God is calling us to face our fears and overcome them, so that we will not be overtaken by fear when it crashes the minds and hearts of people of the land. Someone will need to be steady to help them in those times. Those who faced their own fears will be positioned to help minister hope. Facing what you fear is so healthy for your heart, because it brings spiritual fitness to your life.
5. Taking your peace. Jesus told us, "My peace I give you," but it is my responsibility to "take it" each day (John 14:27). Taking my peace is a daily practice. No matter what is going on and what may be bombarding my thoughts, I must learn to take hold of the peace of God. The peace of God in my heart is something I guard and treasure daily, as there are so many situations, people and circumstances that want to become "peace robbers" in my life. I must remain firm in taking my peace and keeping it. The peace of God will actually stand watch over your hearts and keep your mind guarded from interference. but we must practice this daily (Phil. 4:7).
6. Living in rest. Rest is not just taking a nap or taking a vacation it is a lifestyle. While it is important to have daily, weekly and yearly times of rest, we must learn to live in a lifestyle, where "rest" is the condition of our hearts. The book of Hebrews commands us to remain in the rest of God, which involves taking our peace, while living at the pace that heaven has set for us (Heb. 4).
For so many, the hurried and driven pace by which we live does not produce the fruit of heaven. It can leave a bunch of man-made works, but no lasting fruit and hearts that are stressed, overworked and overburdened. Those who live healthy and free know how to keep a way of life whereby they stay tuned to the pace of God in their lives.
7. Time with God. We still believe we can live healthy lives with great fruit without spending regular time alone with ourselves and with God. Every time we steal from this precious time, we cheat on the health of our hearts. This is not to be received with condemnation or guilt, it's just important to love on the health of our spiritual hearts by spending proper time cultivating relationship and tend the soil of our hearts.
Which practice have you found to be the most helpful in the health of your spiritual heart?
Mark DeJesus has been equipping people in a full time capacity since 1995, serving in various roles, including, teaching people of all ages, communicating through music, authoring books, leading and mentoring. Mark's deepest love is his family; his wife Melissa, son Maximus and daughter Abigail. Mark is a teacher, author and mentor who uses many communication mediums, including the written word, a weekly radio podcast show and videos. His deepest call involves equipping people to live as overcomers. Through understanding inside out transformation, Mark's message involves getting to the root of issues that contribute to the breakdown of our relationships, our health and our day to day peace. He is passionately reaching his world with a transforming message of love, healing and freedom. Out of their own personal renewal, Mark and Melissa founded Turning Hearts Ministries, a ministry dedicated to inside out transformation. Mark also founded Transformed You, a communication platform for Mark's teachings, writing and broadcasts that are designed to encourage people in their journey of transformation.
For the original article, visit markdejesus.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.