Taking care of your body is a spiritual discipline, like prayer, worship or Bible study. God wants you to succeed at this.
The apostle Paul says, with God helping you, "I urge you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, and acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service of worship" (Rom. 12:1).
When you take care of your body, you worship God. And it's never too late to start this important journey in your life.
Before you ever start your journey of getting healthy, you need to realize that it's a step of faith. Like Peter stepping out of the boat, every step you take toward better health increases your trust in God. Every step helps you expect the best from Him. The same verse also says, "Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for Him."
The Bible embraces three incredibly important truths about the journey of getting healthy. Grasping these truths before you begin will change everything about the journey before you.
1. God made your body. Psalm 139:13 says, "You brought my inner parts into being; You wove me in my mother's womb." Physical health is as much about stewardship as where you give your resources.
2. Jesus paid for your body. The Bible says, "What? Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God, and that you are not your own? You were bought with a price. Therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's" (1 Cor. 6:19-20). On the cross, Jesus paid not just for your soul but also your body. You honor God when you take care of your body.
3. The Holy Spirit lives in your body. If you're a Christian, the Bible says your body is God's temple and that the Holy Spirit lives in you (1 Cor. 3:16). Good health is one way you take care of God's temple. You'd never let your church building get into poor shape, and God wants you to think of your body in the same way.
Knowing the truth about your body makes acting on that truth a step of faith. It means you're no longer getting healthy just to live a few more years, fit into a particular item of clothing in your closet, or look more physically attractive. You're getting healthy as a way to worship God.
That's a terrific and empowering reason to get healthy.
Talk It Over
- Which of the three truths about the body discussed in this devotional do you think would empower you the most in your journey to health? Why?
- How is getting healthy a spiritual discipline?
- What step will you take today to become healthier?
Rick Warren is the founding pastor of Saddleback Church. His book, The Purpose Driven Church, was named one of the 100 Christian books that changed the 20th century. He is also founder of pastors.com, a global internet community for pastors.
For the original article, visit rickwarren.org.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.