Do you desire ways to decrease the aging process and increase smartness naturally? Are you looking for ways to live a longer and healthier life?
Simple daily strategies exist which help to provide the body naturally with more brainpower, increase mental-alertness, and boost energy levels (among other health benefits).
1. Embrace exercise. Exercise is one necessary health routine which can add life, increase energy levels, and improve positive brain function. During fitness sessions, one process which takes place in the body is a multiplication of nerve cells through neurotrophic factors. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor, or BDNF, is one protein released by the body during physical activity which improves overall health and also increases cognitive function.
Additional benefits for the brain and body (from exercise) include:
- Increased blood flows to the brain
- Improved development of neurons
- Better "survival" of neurons
- The body produces needed nerve-protecting compounds
- Lowered risk of heart diseases
- Increased ability to maintain proper weight
- Greater energy levels
- The body works more efficiently
Exercise programs should include aerobics, stretching, and strength training. Choosing and maintaining a comprehensive core program routinely provides excellent benefits for the body.
2. Listen to music—rest & exercising. Listening to music during the day can boost brainpower and increase mental focus. Research studies also note an increase in verbal fluency in heart patients who added music during exercise sessions. Fluency doubled in sessions that included classical music. Music can provide positive health benefits.
3. Continued learning. One simple way to increase brain function and decrease aging over time is to challenge the mind. Brain stimulation can include a variety of daily activities including reading, learning new languages, doing crossword puzzles, playing board games, or taking music lessons.
Challenging the brain on a regular basis "trains the mind" to stay younger. Research even suggests web surfing increases areas of the brain that are related to complex reasoning and decision making.
4. Restful sleep. To function properly, the body needs sufficient amounts of sleep. Regular restful sleep is also important to regenerate and renew the mind. Appropriate sleep helps to "reset" the brain and allows improved brain functions throughout the day. This is crucial for increased creativity, better performance, and to provide a boost in mental clarity.
Harvard studies revealed adequate sleeping time helps the memory to "practice" challenging skills. Even sleeping six hours can increase your ability to think more clearly through the day.
Plasticity is a process of brain changes that control one's behavior, memory and learning abilities. Sleep, or lack of sleep, affects this natural process. Research shows even infants who take naps gain "boosts" in this brain-related function. Adults who take short naps also profit from the "restored" brain function.
5. DHA Omega-3 fat. DHA Omega-3 Fat is essential for healthy brain function, and it is also important for the retina of the eyes. A mother's breast milk produces DHA and is believed to increase IQ of babies (as compared to formula fed babies).
The neurons of the healthy brain contain DHA and provide structural support. Individuals must acquire DHA from the diet as it is not made by the body (except through breast milk). Foods rich in DHA Omega-3 include fish, brains, and liver.
When the body contains an inadequate supply of this important substance, mental health declines according to research results. Physical changes in the body are also affected and can include degeneration, inflammation, memory loss, and related cognitive diseases.
Research studies show these negative conditions can be prevented, as well as reversed, through adequate intake of Omega-3. One study included over 450 elderly patients who added 900 mg per day for six months. The participants decreased in memory deficits with excellent improvements. A different study included 12 mg daily of lutein combined with DHA; participants held improved memory and increased in learning rates.
6. Healthy gut flora. Healthy gut flora is extremely important for the body. Information is relayed to the brain from the gut through the vagus nerve. There is a precise connection between a healthy gut and healthy brain function. When the gut flora is unhealthy, this can lead to memory problems, decreased cognitive function, as well as a host of other difficulties.
Processed foods, sweetened drinks, and high sugar foods in the diet create an imbalance within the gut. Healthy microflora can be destroyed and bad bacteria "takes over" the gut. The end result is an unhealthy brain and body. Probiotic supplements are one of the finest ways to "keep a healthy gut."
7. Coconut oil. One of the main fuels for the body (and brain) is glucose. The brain also produces its own insulin to be converted into fuel. Alzheimer's patients suffer from atrophy (from insulin resistance of the brain) which leads to "starving" of the organ. When this occurs, cognitive function is reduced, and loss of memory, speech, movement, as well as personality, can take place.
Coconut oil is one substance that can help the brain. The oil can be introduced into the diet slowly and increased over a period of time to provide therapeutic results. Adding one teaspoon in the mornings to food is a great start. Routinely, taking four tablespoons a day is the goal.
These are just a few means to boost the brain and body naturally. Take some time to consider the health benefits involved in each of these areas. Simple health strategies in life can make a huge difference in one's well being.
Dr. Colbert recommends using his Brain-On and Brain-Defense supplements to support brain health. For more information on these products, please click here.
Don Colbert, M.D., has been board-certified in Family Practice for over 25 years and practices Anti-Aging and Integrative medicine. He is a New York Times best-selling author of books such as The Bible Cure Series, What Would Jesus Eat, Deadly Emotions, What You Don't Know May Be Killing You, and many more with over 10 million books sold. He is the Medical Director of the Divine Health Wellness Center in Orlando, Florida, where he has treated over 50,000 patients.
For the original article, visit drcolbert.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.