For change to happen in any area of your life, whether it's financial, vocational, educational, mental or relational, you have to begin with the physical.
Why? It's because your body affects your behavior. Your muscles affect your moods and your motivation. Your physiology can actually affect your psychology.
Romans 12:1 says, "I urge you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, and acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service of worship" (MEV).
The problem with a living sacrifice is that it can choose to crawl off the altar. We do this all the time. We offer ourselves to God, and then we take ourselves back. This is not a once-for-all offer. You've got to do it four, five or maybe 10 times a day!
So what is your "true and proper worship"? There are three things you can do with your body that the Bible says are acts of worship:
1. Cleanse your body. The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 7:1, "Let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God." You cleanse your body by controlling what you allow in your mind through what you watch and listen to and in your body by what you eat and drink.
2. Care for your body. Ephesians 5:29 says, "No one hates his own body but feeds and cares for it, just as Christ cares for the church" (NLT, second edition). Keeping your body in shape is an act of worship to God.
3. Control your body. "Each of you should learn to control your own body in a way that is holy and honorable" (1 Thess. 4:4 NIV). Control your body so that it doesn't control you. There is no reason to say, "I couldn't help myself!"
No matter what kind of change you want to make in your life, it will require energy. To have the energy to meet your goals, change has to start with your body.
Talk It Over
- What are the practical ways you can honor God through your body today?
- What are the small ways you need to work on controlling your body? What are the big ways?
- How does Christ "feed and care for the church"? Why do you think God wants you to do the same with your body?
Rick Warren New York Times best-seller The Purpose Driven Life. His book, The Purpose Driven Church, was named one of the 100 Christian books that changed the 20th century. He is also founder of pastors.com, a global Internet community for pastors.
For the original article, visit rickwarren.org.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.