Jezebel wants to rob your inheritance—either spiritual or natural. This spirit is a demonic con artist that will shimmy and shake and manipulate you out of what the Lord wants you to have, do and be.
Some of Jezebel's con artists—people operating in a Jezebel spirit that the enemy has sent to work you over and out of God's best for your life—launch spiritual attacks. If you have set your heart to advance spiritually, to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness according to Matthew 6:33, look for one of Jezebel's con artists waiting in the wings to thwart your best-laid plans.
I remember when I decided to start getting up at 4 a.m. to seek the Lord. It was radically changing my life for the better. When one of Jezebel's con artists got wind of my progress, she pulled out all the stops to hinder my bedtime so that I could not rise early in the morning to seek His face. There were unjustified emergencies, false alligator tears and plenty of guilt heaped on my head if I didn't meet her needs.
JOIN JENNIFER ON FACEBOOK FOR SPIRITUAL COMMENTARY AND ENCOURAGEMENT. CLICK HERE.
Jezebel's con artists also work against your natural inheritance. People operating in this spirit will bleed you dry financially if you let them, taking advantage of your kindness to supply their needs when they should be looking to Christ and His glorious riches. Jezebel's con artists will also work to put a wedge between you and your godly friends who might warn you of her stealth attack against you.
So how do you recognize Jezebel's con artists and stop being one of Jezebel's puppets?
1. Jezebel's con artists use flattery. We all know Jezebel flatters her victims. People operating in this spirit will offer insincere compliments—and if you're insecure you'll fall for it. Remember, people only flatter you when they want something from you. Don't let Jezebel butter you up and rob from you. Proverbs 29:5 says, "A man who flatters his neighbor spreads a net for his feet."
2. Jezebel's con artists offer false honor. Essentially another form of flattery, people operating in a Jezebel spirit will honor you with their lips but their heart is far from you (Matt. 15:8). They pretend to show honor where honor is due but they are biding their time to strike against you as soon as you don't give them what they want.
3. Jezebel's con artists guilt and shame you. Like a child who plays up the fact that you missed their baseball game to get special favors, people operating in a Jezebel spirit will use guilt to get you to perform the way they want. At best, this demonstrates an unforgiving spirit. Remember Romans 8:1, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus..." Don't take on the guilt and condemnation trip.
4. Jezebel's con artists put undue pressure on you. People operating in a Jezebel spirit make you feel obligated to cater to their whimsical wishes. Like a bad car salesman, they apply pressure to force your hand—often with time-sensitive requests. If someone is putting pressure on you, let your quick answer be no. And don't waiver. As Jesus said, "Let your no be no" (Matt. 5:37).
5. Jezebel's con artists feign ignorance. If you confront someone operating in a Jezebel spirit, they will act like they have no idea what you are talking about. They'll argue you've misunderstood them, wrongly judged their motives and the like. Don't be fooled. They are pretending not to know but they know exactly what they are doing. Take David's advice, "I do not sit with deceitful men, nor will I go with pretenders" (Ps. 26:4, NASB).
6. Jezebel's con artists offer false concern for your needs. They may pretend to care about you but they really only care about what you can do for them or give them. In 2 Timothy 3:13, Paul warned Timothy, "But evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived." This description fits people operating in a Jezebel spirit perfectly. They are deceived and being deceived.
7. Jezebel's con artists conveniently forget what they promised. Remember, Jezebel's con men have no integrity. Know this: Jezebel is a perverse spirit that breathes lies. Proverbs 11:3 reminds, "The integrity of the upright will guide them, but the perverseness of transgressors will destroy them" (MEV).
8. Jezebel's con artists promise gifts and favors they don't intend to deliver. They make big promises alright but don't follow through. Solomon spoke of this type: "A person who promises a gift but doesn't give it is like clouds and wind that bring no rain" (Prov. 25:14, NLT).
9. Jezebel's con artists play on your emotions for greedy gain. That's what con artists do, especially in the last days. The devil knows his time is running out. Paul warned in 2 Timothy 3:1-5 (MEV), "Know this: In the last days perilous times will come. Men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, slanderers, unrestrained, fierce, despisers of those who are good, traitors, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God, having a form of godliness, but denying its power. Turn away from such people." It's time to turn away from Jezebel.
10. Jezebel's con artists assume and presume on you. They assume you'll do what they want. They presume you'll bow to their manipulation. What if you didn't?
What if you decided not to tolerate Jezebel's con artists anymore? What if you stopped bending to Jezebel's will? What if? What if you waged prophetic warfare against this spirit that's waging demonic warfare against you? You would win.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!