We know Jesus and we know the Father but fewer know—really know—the Holy Spirit or have a relationship with Him in their daily lives. The truth is the Spirit of Truth—the Holy Spirit—will revolutionize our lives if we'll let Him.
The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity. He is co-equal with the Father and the Son. He is not a mist, a cloud, or a strange feeling. He has feelings just like you and me. He can be grieved. He is sensitive and compassionate. He is powerful and mighty. He is the change agent on the earth—God in action in the world.
We need the Holy Spirit more than we know. Here are five reasons why we should cry out for more of Him, which is what we do every morning on my devotional prayer call based on my book, Mornings With the Holy Spirit: Listening Daily to the Still Small Voice of God.
1. The Holy Spirit gives us supernatural power. Jesus said in Acts 1:8, "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you shall be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." Right about now is when you should cry out, "Holy Spirit, come upon me. Fill me again!"
JOIN JENNIFER ON FACEBOOK FOR SPIRITUAL COMMENTARY AND ENCOURAGEMENT. CLICK HERE.
2. The Holy Spirit gives us supernatural gifts. 1 Cor. 12:4-11 tells us, "There are various gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. There are various operations, but it is the same God who operates all of them in all people. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to everyone for the common good. To one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom, to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. But that one and very same Spirit works all these, dividing to each one individually as He will."
When the Holy Spirit came to live on the inside of you, He brought His gifts with Him. Inspired by the Holy Spirit, Paul tells us we should earnestly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy (1 Cor. 14:1).
3. The Holy Spirit helps us build our faith. Jude 20 says, "But you, beloved, build yourselves up in your most holy faith. Pray in the Holy Spirit." I pray in the Spirit for at least the first 30 minutes of my day and pray in spirit in spurts throughout the day. I am praying in the Spirit as I write this article. I am edifying my spirit man when I do this.
4. The Holy Spirit gives life and strength to our bodies. Romans 8:11 says, "But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead lives in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit that lives in you." Think about that! Resurrection life is on the inside of you. We need to learn how to tap into that power to continue running our race and fighting the good fight of faith.
5. The Holy Spirit helps us resist temptation. Romans 8:13 says, "For if you live according to the flesh, you will die, but if through the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live." And Galatians 5:16 says, "I say then, walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh." If you are struggling with temptation of any kind, ask the Holy Spirit to help you. He is your helper. He's right there waiting on you to ask.
I'll stop there for now and give you time to mediate on these realities. They really will revolutionize your life if you let them. If you've never been filled with Spirit and you want to be, pray this prayer:
"Father, I surrender full control of my life to You. I ask you even now to fill me to overflowing with Your Spirit, just as You have promised to do if I ask according to Your will. I ask this in the name of Jesus and believe that you are pouring out your Spirit upon me right now."
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!