I believe the closer I get to God, the better I will lead.
It's easier to "die to self" when I remain near the cross. When I drift into being busy and "getting stuff done," I begin to lose the heart of a servant. Before long I'm singing a new song: "It's all about me; yes, it's all about me."
In the midst of those times, it's hard for anyone to tell me I am leading myself and no one else. I may be managing others, but the servant-leader is out for a nap.
When I awake from such a slumber, I want to find the cross. I want to break my serving hiatus and lead others the way God expects me to lead.
I know I'm serving as a love-driven leader when:
- I am transparent; I have nothing to hide.
- I have nothing to prove because God gives me confidence and removes my insecurities.
- I don't fear man or losing anything because I know the Lord is my provider, and I'm free to serve Him.
- I don't want anything. My needs are met, and I want time to be alone with God.
- I inspire others. It's highly unlikely that I could ever inspire anyone while being self-serving. Self-serving leadership is accompanied by a distinct odor.
- I don't need to be right because I know the truth always appears. Light reveals what is hidden in the dark.
- I don't have to be heard because my actions tell the best story. I know that everything I do should point to the cross.
The popular worship song "The Heart of Worship" points to Jesus. Leading well is a form of worship.
As we honor God with prayer and Bible study, we open our ears to hear how the Lord would have us lead with love.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president of the media group at Charisma Media and executive producer of the Charisma Podcast Network. His book, Love Leads: The Spiritual Connection Between Your Relationships and Productivity, released July 2017.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!