Walking in dream language and tapping into the mind and heart of God can be an exciting and exhilarating journey. But understanding and interpreting the revelation He gives in dreams can often be a complex and even confusing process.
These 15 keys will help you to simplify the process of dream interpretation:
1. Most of all, dreams should be interpreted on a personal basis first (John 10:3).
2. Most dreams should not be taken literally. They need interpretation (Dan. 1:17; Gen. 40:8).
3. God will use familiar terms that you know (Matt. 4:19).
4. Ponder on the dream or revelation and ask the Holy Spirit for insight (Dan. 7:8, 8:15-16; Luke 2:19; 1 Cor. 2:10-12).
5. Ask the Holy Spirit what the central thought, word or issue is in the revelation. Reduce the dream to its simplest form. What is the main thought?
6. Search it out in the Word. Dreams from the Lord will never go against His written Word (Prov. 25:2).
7. What did you sense and feel from the dream? Was it a good or evil presence? What was the primary emotion?
8. Relate the dream to your circumstances and spheres of influence.
9. Consecutive dreams often have similar meanings (Gen. 41:1-7). God will speak the same message more than once in more than one way.
10. What are the colors? Is everything black and white with one main object in color?
11. Interpretations can be on three levels: personal, church, or national and international.
12. More than one interpretation can come forth in one dream. Just as with Scripture, there is the historical context as wells as the personal, present implication. So it is with dreams. It might be a general word for the church with specific applications for yourself (or others).
13. Some dreams may only be understood in the future. They unfold over time. Details will make sense down the road.
14. Write down in a journal the summary; date it; and write down where you were, the time (if you woke up from it), the main emotions and a possible interpretation.
15. The key to proper interpretation is to ask questions, questions, questions!
Dreams are significant to all people—every society, culture, creed and color has dreamers. Dreams are a venue God uses to move a divine purpose from His heart and mind so that it can become a reality in our story.
Dreams are where space and time are pushed away, where God allows our inner selves to see beyond and behind the conscious plane and where possibilities and hopes—as well as our hidden, ungodly beliefs—come out.
James W. Goll is the president of God Encounters Ministries and has traveled around the world sharing the love of Jesus, imparting the power of intercession, prophetic ministry and life in the Spirit. He has recorded numerous classes with corresponding study guides and is the author of more than 40 books, including The Seer, The Lost Art of Intercession, The Coming Israel Awakening and The Lifestyle of a Prophet. James is the father of four wonderful children with a growing number of grandchildren, and makes his home in Franklin, Tennessee.
For the original article, visit godencounters.com.
Dr. James Goll is the founder of Encounters Network, Prayer Storm and helps carry on the work of Compassion Acts. For information on his online school visit: geteschool.com. James continues to live in Tennessee and is a joyful father and grandfather today.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.