"God is not the author of confusion" (1 Cor. 14:33).
Do you write daily emails? If so, your goal is to communicate a directive, question or answer. Tips for better email writing:
- Think before you write. What is the purpose of the message? If you were speaking directly to the person (or people) on the TO: line, what would you say and how would you say it?
- Check the subject line. Is there more than one Re: ? If so, write a new subject line. Details get lost in long chains.
- Make sure your subject line lists all topics covered in your email. You will be thanked during search missions.
"Thoughts about our project, question about the training, and Bill Smith notes."
Subject lines for business email aren't the place for click bait, humor or guessing games. Think search.
- Clarify exactly who the message is for. Use "Dear Sally" if you are writing to her. Let the those who are copied know the target of your email. Is the email really for everyone?
- Be clear about the action point you recommend. It's probably the main message derived from the subject line.
- Text message abbreviations may work for texts. Use your words in email.
- Think before you click send. Is it better to call? Is it even better to speak face to face? If the topic is sensitive or complicated, it's almost always better to pay a visit.
Less is more.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president of the multimedia group at Charisma Media and executive producer of the Charisma Podcast Network. His Charisma House book, Love Leads, shows that without love, you cannot be an effective leader. Download his Greenelines podcast at cpnshows.com
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Great Resources to help you excel in 2019! #1 John Eckhardt's "Prayers That..." 6-Book Bundle. Prayer helps you overcome anything life throws at you. Get a FREE Bonus with this bundle. #2 Learn to walk in the fullness of your purpose and destiny by living each day with Holy Spirit. Buy a set of Life in the Spirit, get a second set FREE.