But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; —1 Peter 1:15
Do not speak evil of one another, brethren. He who speaks evil of a brother and judges his brother, speaks evil of the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. —James 4:11, NKJV
Evil speaking is also known by ancient rabbis as the “third tongue” because it destroys the speaker. It destroys the one spoken to, and it destroys the one spoken about. It brings great defilement. The Bible tells us it’s not what goes into a man that defiles him but what comes out.
Prophets should be especially careful about what they speak on and to whom they speak. They represent God in everything they do.
When they initiate or participate in unholy conversation, they can bring defilement on the listener and the person they are speaking about. Sins of the mouth can hinder their prophetic flow.
Sins of the mouth that hinder prophetic flows:
• Defilement—to pollute, to make unclean, to tarnish the purity of character by lewdness (Matt. 15:1–19; John 14:30)
• Lewdness—sinning in broad daylight with arrogance and contempt
• Idle words (Matt. 12:33–37)
• Backbiting—one who speaks against an absent individual (Ps. 15:1–3; Rom. 1:28–30)
• Busybody—one who seeks out information on a false report and spreads it by means of gossip, slander, and backbiting; a meddler in other people’s affairs (1 Pet. 4:15)
• Complaining—grumbling not loudly but so only those in close proximity can hear
• Slandering—trying to injure someone’s reputation or character by sharing damaging stories about the past (Prov. 10:18)
• Talebearing (Lev. 19:16; Prov. 11:13; 17:9; 18:8; 26:20–22)
• Elaborating and exaggerating—making a story more dramatic
• Whispering—privately and secretly talking about other people; mumbling a spell (Prov. 16:28)
Michelle McClain serves as director of prayer ministry on the staff of Crusaders Church under the leadership of Apostle John Eckhardt. She is also one of the house prophets and apostolic team leaders at Crusaders Church in Chicago. She is the author of The Prophetic Advantage, from which this article was excerpted.
Best Magazine Deal. Subscribe now and get 3 magazines for the price of 1. Get Charisma, SpiritLed Woman and Ministry Today, all for $24. YES - I want this deal!
3 Reasons Why you should read Life in the Spirit. 1) Get to know the Holy Spirit. 2) Learn to enter God's presence 3) Hear God's voice clearly! Click Here to draw closer to God!