Join us on our new podcast each weekday for an interesting story, well told, from Charisma News. Listen at charismapodcastnetwork.com.
Do you want to jump-start your prayer life? Have you fallen into a rut and feel you've lost the fervor you once had? Here are some tips to help you renew your prayer life.
10. Accountability. Start praying with a partner or with a handful of believers who will push one another to pray. The key is to never treat group prayer time as a substitute for your personal prayer time. Carve out a period before or after the group intercession to engage with your heavenly Father alone.
9. Location, location, location. If your knees have burned a hole in the same place for the last 50 years, then maybe it's time to change your location. A change in surroundings might exhilarate your prayer time. Try going to a park and praying while gazing at God's creation.
8. Read the Word. Use the Word of God to pray. You can find Scriptures related to your prayers. Or you can pray over the promises God has made to all of us through His Word.
7. Be still and listen. We should make a practice of slowing down to listen to what God is saying to us.
6. Get away. Sometimes prayer retreats can invigorate your prayer time. Try locking yourself in a cabin or hotel room. After a while, you'll find yourself basking in His presence, if you are earnest.
5. Discipline. Try to pray at the same time every day and make it part of your regular daily routine.
4. Prayer list. As you pray, write all your prayer requests in a notebook. Remember to write down all the times that God answers your prayers. You'll be encouraged when you're able to see how faithful He has been to you.
3. Keep a prayer journal. It's good to keep a journal beside you while you are praying. Many times God will speak to you or give you an idea while you are praying. This will help you keep track of what God is saying to you.
2. Worship. Your prayer time doesn't always have to be a monologue. Sometimes it can be melodic. When you feel weary start worshipping.
1. Rest. Ask someone else to pray for you. If you are usually the person ministering, it is easy to burn out. Take a break and receive from God.
Draw closer to God. Experience the presence of the Holy Spirit every month as you read Charisma magazine. Sign up now to get Charisma for as low as $1 per issue.
Dare to go deeper in your faith. Our "Life in the Spirit" devotional takes you on a journey to explore who the Holy Spirit is, how to interact with Him, and how He works in your life. Are you ready to go deeper?