Isaiah 60:1-62:5 So many Christians spend their lives looking forward to when their ministry will be released in power. While they are waiting, they miss so many opportunities. The great ministry they hope to have one day may never develop. Many years ago when I almost died, the Lord taught me about the ministry of the moment. As I felt my spirit leaving my body as I was hemorrhaging after a miscarriage, I realized I might not have another minute to live. At that time I learned how precious every minute is. True ministry is seeing every moment as an opportunity to minister to another person or to the Lord.
This passage in Isaiah shares the ministry of Jesus; that is the ministry we are to allow to flow freely from us as we are empowered by the Spirit. Jesus said the Spirit of the Lord was upon Him to anoint Him to do seven things:
1. To preach good tidings to the meek (preach the gospel)
2. To proclaim liberty to the captives (deliverance)
3. To open the prison doors for those who are bound (deliverance)
4. To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord and His day of judgment
5. To comfort those who mourn
6. To give them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning and the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness (healing the brokenhearted)
7. To cause us to be planted as trees of righteousness (discipleship)
The above is the ministry of Jesus. It also is your ministry today. Be watching today for opportunities to reach out to the rejected, preach the gospel, to tell people of the liberating power of Jesus, to disciple someone or to speak of the Lord's coming to another person. The person you are face to face with right now is your ministry.
Lord, help me to be diligent to look for the opportunities to have You minister through me today. Help me never to miss the ministry of the moment.
READ: Isaiah 60:1-62:5; Philippians 1:27-2:18; Psalm 72:1-20; Proverbs 24:11-12