- Ask for more anointing from the Holy Spirit. Although the spirit of jealousy hates it, the anointing is your power against these attacks. Take the stance David did when he replied to Michal rather than retreating into a cave as Elijah did (see 2 Sam. 6:21-22; 1 Kin. 19:9).
- Know when to speak. Submit to a spirit of jealousy, and it will demand more and more. But speaking the truth at the right time brings liberty.
A great antidote is a good sense of humor. Do not take yourself or your spouse so seriously that it immobilizes you or puts you in bondage through manipulation and fear.
- Do not withdraw. Bring jealousy to the light (see Prov. 18:1). Seek out a third party whose prayers and counsel you both can honor and receive.
Do not gossip about your mate under the guise of sharing this burden with a prayer partner, especially if you have not confronted the problem or taken it to someone with pastoral authority for help.
- Run after what the Lord has for you. Then jealousy will run away from you (see Jer. 29:11).
- Bring an offering to the Lord. Whether you are innocent or guilty, Scripture indicates that an offering, made in faith, will break the stronghold of jealousy and set you both free (see Num. 5:14-15).
There are serious consequences for harboring a jealous spirit. So unrestrained is this evil that often God must supernaturally intervene to rescue its victims.
Avail yourself of His power and wisdom. Then love can flourish in your marriage again, and you can find the joy and peace that our selfless First Love, Christ, freely gives.
*Not their real names
Bonnie Chavda and her husband Mahesh, are founders of Chavda Ministries International. They're also pastors at All Nations Church in Charlotte, N.C.
- << Previous
- Continue reading
Draw closer to God. Experience the presence of the Holy Spirit every month as you read Charisma magazine. Sign up now to get Charisma for as low as $1 per issue.
Dare to go deeper in your faith. Our "Life in the Spirit" devotional takes you on a journey to explore who the Holy Spirit is, how to interact with Him, and how He works in your life. Are you ready to go deeper?