The SpiritLed Woman podcast is empowering women weekly to follow their purpose in Christ and boldly walk in faith. Listen at charismapodcastnetwork.com.
We remove self-pity by:
- Confessing our self-pity to God (1 John 1:9) and others (James 5:16)
- Commanding Satan, “Be gone!”
- Believing we can do “all things,” including mastering self-pity, “through Christ” (Phil. 4:13)
- Developing a spiritual mind by seeing our troubles through the wide viewfinder of Scripture, not the narrow spyglass of self-sympathy
- Accepting all difficulties come from our Father’s hand for “good” (Rom. 8:28)
- Thanking and praising God in our adversities, and for them, since only by mastering them can we become like Jesus
- Rising to minister to others’ needs, which breaks the chains of selfishness and frees us to live and serve joyfully
- Looking around us and considering how others are suffering as bad as we are, or worse!
If persisted in, these simple measures will eliminate self-pity and make us the rarest of wonders, overcomers—mature Christians who, no matter what happens to them, are able to continue walking closely with Jesus, worshiping Him, faithfully serving others, and giving thanks for what they have. If we don’t eliminate self-pity, it will eliminate our usefulness to God. So examine yourself.
Are you pitying yourself over anything present? Past? About to happen? If so, ponder and practice these few thoughts on self-pity.
Greg Hinnant is a Bible expositor, teacher, and writer based in High Point, North Carolina. His books include Walking in His Ways, Spiritual Truths for Overcoming Adversity, Precious Pearls from the Proverbs, the devotionals Sweeter Than Honey and Not by Bread Alone, and others. Greg teaches with Christian Life Educators Network and speaks at churches and conferences. Visit him at greghinnantministries.org.
- << Prev
- Continue reading
Draw closer to God. Experience the presence of the Holy Spirit every month as you read Charisma magazine. Sign up now to get Charisma for as low as $1 per issue.
Get to know the Holy Spirit and how to interact with Him on a daily basis. Learn to enter God's presence and hear His voice clearly for yourself! Go deeper in your faith with Life in the Spirit and change your life and destiny. Are you ready to start your journey?