Challenge your beliefs each week with topics on domestic and international politics, missions, Christian movements, persecution and global outreach with Steve Strang. Listen to the Strang Report at charismapodcastnetwork.com.
This week, on April 22, we recognize "Earth Day." You will hear a lot of talk about climate change and how its horrible consequences must be avoided at all costs. Here are some things you won't hear:
1. The earth was warmer by about 1.5 degrees 1,000 years ago, a time known as the Medieval Warm Period. Instead of causing damage, the Medieval Warm Period brought about a flowering of European culture. The population boomed and people led more prosperous and better likes, just as in the current warm period.
2. Despite the warnings about increased deaths from Global Warming alarmists, in the U.S., 16 people die from cold for every one who dies from heat.
3. The only source of warming for the earth is the sun, which heats the earth about 500 degrees (F.) above absolute zero. Energy output from the sun varies about 0.5 percent, accounting for at least 2.5 degree (F.) temperature variations on the earth over the past several thousand years.
4. The sun's energy output is tied to the number of sun spots, which are darker areas on the sun's surface caused by intense magnetic activity. Sun spots occur in 11-year cycles with climate warming during the maxima and cooling during the minima. Sunspot numbers also vary over longer periods, creating centuries of warming and cooling.
5. Since 1700, there have been eight periods of extreme sunspot activity, with over 150 sunspots per year. Seven of these eight occurred in the last 50 years of the 20th century, when global temperatures had their greatest recent increase. It should be no surprise that "Global Warning" is caused by the source of all warming, the sun.
6. There has been a period of slight global cooling since 2000 which corresponds to a decrease in sun spot activity.
7. There are no practical means to lower global temperatures, even though global warming alarmists would drive up the cost of energy and impoverish billions in a futile effort to control the climate.
Surely God is bemused by our proud and foolish efforts. To those who would impoverish a whole world, He would say, as He did to Job, "Who is this who darkens counsel by words without knowledge?" (Job 38:2) or "Can you lift up your voice to the clouds, that abundance of waters may cover you?" (Job 38:34). Let us pray that God will protect us from the arrogant schemes of the climate extremists, the crony capitalists and the politicians who profit from the fear they promote.
Let us change the atmosphere this Earth Day by humbly acknowledging that God controls our weather and praying for God's wisdom to steward the earth He has given us.
And let us offer a prayer of thanksgiving for the bounty of the earth and God's climate control that makes it possible.
Ron Allen is a Christian businessman, CPA and author who serves in local, national and international ministries spreading a message of reconciliation to God, to men and between believers. He is founder of the International Star Bible Society, telling how the heavens declare the glory of God, and the Emancipation Network, which helps people escape from financial bondage, and co-founder with his wife, Pat, of Corporate Prayer Resources, dedicated to helping intercessors.
Draw closer to God. Experience the presence of the Holy Spirit every month as you read Charisma magazine. Sign up now to get Charisma for as low as $1 per issue.
Get to know the Holy Spirit and how to interact with Him on a daily basis. Learn to enter God's presence and hear His voice clearly for yourself! Go deeper in your faith with Life in the Spirit and change your life and destiny. Are you ready to start your journey?