Here are two ways to improve your marriage today:
1. Communicate more often.
- Schedule times just to talk.
- Plan activities that will allow you to engage with each other.
- Get a sitter so you can be alone.
- Don't let too much time go by without longer conversations.
- Begin and end your day—as much as possible—in communication with each other.
- Read a book you both enjoy for something to talk about together.
- Take long walks together.
- Trade texts throughout the day.
- Share calendars to keep you on track with each other through the day.
- Shut down all electronics frequently.
2. Communicate better.
- Learn each other's differences.
- Speak to each other's head and heart. Learn how men and women communicate differently.
- Prepare for conversation by preparing questions of each other.
- Always be honest, and always be kind.
- Consider the other person's needs.
- Really listen to each other.
- Laugh together frequently.
- Extend grace. Forgive quickly.
- Get some conflict-resolution training. (If needed)
- Don't go to bed in anger. Stop little issues from becoming major issues.
One of the greatest threats to marriage is a lack of communication. One of the greatest helps to most marriages is an increase communication.
Use it often. Use it well.
Obviously, you can't do all of this today, but could you do something to intentionally improve the quantity and quality of your marriage communication? Any other tips you could share?
Ron Edmondson is the senior pastor at Immanuel Baptist Church in Lexington, Kentucky. For the original article, visit ronedmondson.com.