Life hacks are clever tips and tricks that can be used to solve an everyday problem a person may be facing. Life hacks often make our lives a little bit easier and a little more productive.
So, to help all of you men out there, here are some life hacks that will hopefully help you in one of your most important jobs—being a husband.
1. "How to love your wife well" life hack. Write a note. Surprise your spouse with a long love letter and put it on their pillow one morning. Or leave sticky notes with short words of encouragement on the bathroom mirror or the kitchen table. To help get you started, here are some things you can write: "10 More Things Husbands Want to Hear From Their Wives" and "10 More Things Wives Want to Hear From Their Husbands."
2. "Watch your words" life hack. Do I have good motives? Is my reason for saying it beneficial to the listener or only for selfish purposes? I have to be careful on this one. There have been many times in my life that I’ve said something that is very true, but I only said it so someone would be impressed with me or because I was trying to manipulate them to do something for me.
3. "How your marriage can thrive in busyness" life hack. Set aside a little time throughout the day. Our days often have a couple minute-long breaks here and there. So instead of checking your Twitter feed, posting on Facebook or staring off into space, make those moments count. Send a quick email or text to your spouse, or make a phone call to them just to let them know you are thinking about them. It’s a simple way to interact frequently and consistently without taking too much time out of your schedule.
4. "Discipline your kids together" life hack. Be consistent. You can read all the books in the world and have dozens of great ideas, but if you’re not consistent, they won’t work. I’ll admit it: Being consistent is tough. Sometimes it’s easier to just let the kids get away with something rather than sticking to your plan. But consistency pays off in the long run. It helps our children know what to expect.
5. "How to communicate well with your wife" life hack. Do not speak with attack intensity. On any given day, motherhood can be a strategic battle. So if a husband needs to communicate and approaches in attack mode, he may get a woman warrior reaction. This is the fight-or-flight response taking over in her brain. It is much better for a husband to approach softly.
6. "Strive for greatness in your marriage" life hack. Do a random act of kindness daily. Brighten your spouse’s day with little moments of joy. Do the dishes for her. Give her your undivided attention when she gets home. A little gesture goes a long way.
Which life hack is most helpful for you? Please share your thoughts with me below.
For the month of August we are celebrating the 40th anniversary of Charisma. Join us for giveaways each weekday, pages from our past, and more. We're including an anniversary special where you can get 40 issues of Charisma for only $40!