I recently called to check on my father, who wasn't feeling well. After talking for a few minutes, I asked about his wife (not my mother). They've enjoyed a wonderful relationship for 45 years of marriage. He said, "She is doing well, sitting here holding my hand."
I must admit, I thought of that as a Hallmark moment—a seasoned couple sitting in their cabin on a mountain in Arkansas, still in love and holding hands.
The human touch has amazingly powerful benefits to both parties—physically, emotionally, physiologically and even spiritually. Studies have revealed innumerable benefits. Unfortunately, some men have allowed their hands to withdraw from reaching for their wives.
Here are seven meaningful touches every husband should practice when reaching for his wife:
1. Reach for your wife first thing in the morning. It may be a gentle pat as you're getting out of bed or a hug when you first see each other, but reach for her before you get busy about the day.
2. Throughout the day, a text or quick phone call is a great touch of affection. A simple "I love you" or "Just thinking about you and looking forward to the evening" will go a long way in letting her know she is on your mind.
3. Write a note the old-fashioned way. We're so tech-savvy these days that sometimes an old-fashioned approach is more meaningful.
4. Whether your wife loves flowers, chocolate or shoes, sending these on "regular" days rather than typical celebration days will be a huge touch.
5. Save some energy so you can give your wife special attention when you return home. Embrace her warmly and greet her when you first enter the home.
6. Hold her hand at random times —while driving, walking or just sitting at home.
7. Give her a back rub.
I want to add one more to the list that is a real standout and will take your relationship to another dimension: Lay your hand upon her and speak a blessing over her and her dreams while praying in agreement with her. This may take you out of your comfort zone, but I promise you this will be a game-changer in your spiritual walk and leadership with your wife and family.
Reach out and touch your wife. The benefits are immeasurable.
FivestarMan was founded in 2008 by Neil Kennedy. Kennedy has passionately promoted God's Word for 25-plus years of ministry. He is known for practically applying biblical principles that elevate people to a new level of living. As a business, church, ministry and life consultant, Kennedy has helped others strategize the necessary steps to reach their full potential.
For the original article, visit fivestarman.com.
The Charisma Podcast Network is now live. Featuring a variety of programs including news, leadership, inspiring stories, women's topics, sports, and even more.
Subscribe now for free!