Some guys reach midlife, see more asphalt behind than in front, and panic. Midlife crisis mode. “The end is coming!” This doesn’t have to be you. Midlife can be a time for purpose, meaning, re-evaluation and new energy.
Here are 10 must-dos for middle-aged men to help them finish well:
1. Make health a priority. Diet, exercise and how we deal with stress all go a long way to determine midlife vibrancy. It’s no fun starting a big adventure only to stop after a mile. We know how to take care of our bodies; put that knowledge into practice.
2. Escape the rat race. The rat race puts extra stress on men already struggling with life. We need to escape from time to time. Take a spontaneous trip with your wife. Play hooky and spend the day having fun. Escape into your favorite music or novel. Reinvent.
3. Regain your childlike joy. Behaving like a child isn’t always all bad! Avoid irresponsibility, but embrace childlike joy. In the eyes of child, the world has endless possibilities. Wake up with a gleam in your eye and joy in your heart. Determine to discover one new thing about the world every day.
4. Make a pilgrimage. Many men harbor a burning desire to explore, challenge limits, engage a quest and redefine who they are. What’s your ultimate pilgrimage? What does your soul want to experience? Answer that question and plan.
5. Become a mentor. Success, mistakes, joy and heartbreak. Knowledge multiplies with experience. By midlife, it’s time to share. We can teach, volunteer, encourage and listen. The only skill necessary is the courage to step out.
6. Discover a deeper purpose. Sometimes life can grow stagnant, a repetitive loop in the same endless circle, disconnected and barely making do. Such thoughts can lead to depression, alcohol abuse, marital troubles and more. The first solution is to realize your need; that’s the most difficult part. Once that happens, vigorously seek God’s will.
7. Avoid tragic mistakes. There are many common pitfalls. Cheating, over-reaching financially, walking away from people or jobs we’re invested in, giving in to despair. But nothing destroys like cheating. Don’t even put yourself in a position to be tempted.
8. Take leadership responsibility. Wisdom comes with age and then the responsibility to share. There’s a place that needs your leadership right now. Find it and step up.
9. Gain appreciation. We all fail when it comes to recognizing our blessings. In business, it’s imperative to take stock. The same goes for our personal lives.
10. The past is past. We don’t reach midlife without trauma. Life shapes us. It can build character or destroy it, leaving bitterness and heartache. The past is a resource, but the future is where hope lives.
All Pro Dad is Family First’s innovative and unique program for every father. Their aim is to interlock the hearts of the fathers with their children and, as a byproduct, the hearts of the children with their dads. At AllProDad.com, dads in any stage of fatherhood can find helpful resources to aid in their parenting. Resources include daily emails, blogs, Top 10 lists, articles, printable tools, videos and eBooks. From AllProDad.com, fathers can join the highly engaged All Pro Dad social media communities on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
For the original article, visit allprodad.com.
Best Magazine Deal. Subscribe now and get 3 magazines for the price of 1. Get Charisma, SpiritLed Woman and Ministry Today, all for $24. YES - I want this deal!
3 Reasons Why you should read Life in the Spirit. 1) Get to know the Holy Spirit. 2) Learn to enter God's presence 3) Hear God's voice clearly! Click Here to draw closer to God!