Sexy – generally attractive or interesting : appealing <a sexystock> Miriam Webster (M-W.com)
The church has lost sight of a core command: Be a refection of Jesus. That means when people see us, they should desire what we have because they see an attractive, interesting and appealing Jesus in us.
We are commanded to "go and make followers of all people.” Well, how do you make a follower of Jesus when you don’t look like Jesus? You can’t! Those outside the kingdom should desire and be drawn to the spiritual relationship we have with Jesus.
In other words, how “spiritually sexy” or spiritually appealing are you to those who don’t know Jesus? These questions may help you measure it.
1. Do people genuinely like to be with you? Come on, you know the answer to that! You may not want to admit it, but many Christ followers aren’t really following Jesus, and so no one is following them. When we genuinely reflect Jesus, people will be attracted to us, not our morality.
2. Do those far away from God feel comfortable being around you? We have to love and accept people unconditionally—not approve of their choices or actions, but love and accept them without judgment. We love and show them the real Jesus, and the Spirit will draw them.
3. Do you feel a freedom to hang out with those who don’t believe as you do? If you don’t feel comfortable just hanging out with lost folk, then you’re probably religiously repulsive. You think others should live and believe as you do, even if they don’t know Jesus. That’s ludicrous!
4. Can you ask questions about life and not feel compelled to tell them the "truth"? We need to earn the right in the life of a person to share real biblical truth with them. If we don’t earn that right before we share it, it will be like the seed that fell on the path and was trampled underfoot. Give the Spirit time to till the hard ground before you start sowing.
5. How many friends outside the kingdom do you have? This is really the litmus test. People need time to see the real Jesus come through you, but they can’t with a quick church invitation in the drive thru. Take the time and invest in real relationship.
Well, are you “spiritually sexy”?
P.S. If you are offended by me using the phrase “spiritually sexy,” then you aren't.
Artie Davis is the pastor at Cornerstone Community Church in Orangeburg, S.C. He heads the Comb Network and the Sticks Conference. He speaks and writes about leadership, ministry, church planting and cultural diversity in the church. You can find his blog at ArtieDavis.com, or catch him on Twitter @artiedavis.
For the original article, visit artiedavis.com.
Draw closer to God. Experience the presence of the Holy Spirit every month as you read Charisma magazine. Sign up now to get Charisma for as low as $1 per issue.
Get to know the Holy Spirit and how to interact with Him on a daily basis. Learn to enter God's presence and hear His voice clearly for yourself! Go deeper in your faith with Life in the Spirit and change your life and destiny. Are you ready to start your journey?