1. Hit the beach! For a great many people, Spring Break=The Beach. For good reason. Winter has been cold and gray. Work and school have been rough. No place on earth relaxes the spirit like the coast. Bright sun, crashing waves and feet in the sand. Your family will have nothing but smiles.
2. The big parks. The Grand Canyon, Yosemite, the Great Smoky Mountains ... America is full of natural wonders and beauty. Somewhere within driving distance lies a national park offering endless opportunities of fun and exploration. Get out there and show your family the world is more than strip malls and endless concrete.
3. Baseball. In March, America’s great pastime begins another season. The states of Florida and Arizona host teams from all over the nation. Spring training offers fans a much more intimate experience with the sport. Small stadiums, access to the players and coaches, great weather, smiling faces ... hot dogs. What could be more fun? And you don’t have to travel to Florida or Arizona for baseball thrills. Minor league baseball has teams all over the country offering the same experience!
4. The big rig. How many times have you been on the road with your family and you all see that big motor home next to you and wish you were in it? Make it happen. RV dealers rent those big rigs for surprisingly reasonable fees. There are special resorts all over the country that cater to big motor homes. Research an itinerary that works for your family and get out on the road!
5. Backyard fun. Traveling is not the only way to have a great time with the family on vacation. Turn your backyard into your very own resort destination. You can play all types of different sports, such as Ultimate Frisbee or volleyball. Maybe you'll put down an old fashioned Slip 'n Slide. Even a sprinkler can keep young kids entertained for hours on end. Think outside the box and come up with your own unique backyard fun.
6. Grill master. A skill your child should have as an adult is the ability to cook good food. The popularity of outdoor grilling is bigger than ever. Get in on the fun. Spend the week with your kids challenging and expanding your abilities. Become a grill master. As a family, research foods and find recipes you have never attempted. Try a new one each day. Have your kids involved every step along the way. Not only will you all have fun and eat well, you will be giving them a gift that will last a lifetime.
7. The outdoor project. Yard work on vacation? Sure! It’s the perfect time to add beauty and function to your home. Take this time to add that long-talked-about gazebo ... that fountain. Maybe your wife wants a garden. Get the whole family involved with the vision and planning. Then get out there with your family and make it happen!
8. Volunteer. Spring break is a perfect time to give of yourself. Spring is the time of new life and renewed hope. Your family can join in giving nature a hand. Clean up litter in your neighborhood, pick up trash that harms wildlife around ponds and creeks. Help an elderly neighbor with yard work or house maintenance. Let your family choose the cause and then be the solution.
9. Wacky destinations. America has millions of strange and odd attractions. Most times they are free or very low-cost. The “Blowing Rock” in North Carolina, Dinosaur World in Florida. These types of places are all over. So much fun and so very silly. They offer a balance to the massive and very expensive theme parks. Yet strangely, they give the same thrills and smiles. Don’t forget your camera. That picture of your daughter standing next to the 40-foot-tall Paul Bunyan will be a timeless keepsake. A great source for this type of experience is: www.roadsideamerica.com.
10. The food tour. We all love to eat. What is your passion? Seafood? Barbeque? Southern cooking? Plan a road trip to discover some of the very best of the foods you love. Maybe you will drive all over Texas sampling the best of their unique beef barbeque. Or it could be a trip up the New England coast for classic seafood. How about sitting in New Orleans eating jambalaya in an open-air café? Nothing brings a family together better than food.
All Pro Dad is Family First’s innovative and unique program for every father. Their aim is to interlock the hearts of the fathers with their children and, as a by-product, the hearts of the children with their dads. At AllProDad.com, dads in any stage of fatherhood can find helpful resources to aid in their parenting. Resources include: daily emails, blogs, Top 10 Lists, articles, printable tools, videos and eBooks. From AllProDad.com fathers can join the highly engaged All Pro Dad social media communities on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
For a limited time, we are extending our celebration of the 40th anniversary of Charisma. As a special offer, you can get 40 issues of Charisma magazine for only $40!
NEW from CHARISMA: Do you want to encounter the Holy Spirit and hear God speak to you? Increase your faith, discover freedom, and draw near to God! Click Here