If you are struggling with anxiety right now, then I recommend praying the following Scripture:
“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer” (Ps. 19:14).
Why is the meditation of your heart so important? Jesus taught in Matthew 15:19-20, "For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. These are the things which defile a man.”
You can’t help fleeting thoughts, but you can choose whether to permit them to live with you. When thoughts contrary to God’s Word visit your mind like an unwanted houseguest, what do you do?
- Do you remind them of truth from God’s Word and evict them?
- Or do you permit them to move in, allowing them to influence your emotions, intellect and morals?
When the Bible refers to the heart of man, it means more than just your feelings. It means the center of your inner life—your emotions, intellect and morals together.
Think of it this way. A house has two main parts, the outside (which is what people see) and the inside. It is the inside that is most important. Why? Because it is where you spend most of your time. Proper management of it helps ensure that everything else operates efficiently. What good does it do to have a good-looking outside but an inside that is a hot mess? When the inside of a home is peaceful and well-ordered, it improves the quality of your whole life.
What is acceptable Christian meditation according to the Lord? Philippians 4:8 gives you guidance: “Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.”
Everything related to Jesus fits this description. These are eight simple meditations the Lord gave me that bring peace to my mind:
- True. Jesus is the living Word, and His Word is true.
- Noble. Jesus sacrificed Himself on the cross for my sins.
- Just. Jesus paid for my sin debt, so I am no longer condemned under the law.
- Pure. Jesus lived a sinless life, and He is my ultimate role model on how to live right.
- Lovely. I love Jesus because He first loved me.
- Good report. Hallelujah, I have overcome the world through Jesus!
- Virtue. I am being transformed into Jesus’ virtuous image, from glory to glory.
- Praiseworthy. I am seated in heavenly places in Christ, and He lives in me now and forever.
Meditating on Jesus is the surefire way to ensure your meditation is acceptable in God’s sight. When you do this, the peace of God will guard your heart and mind—through Christ Jesus!
Note: This content was excerpted from Kimberly Taylor’s new book, The Anxiety Relief Scriptures. Learn more at Amazon.com.
Kimberly Taylor is the author of The Anxiety Relief Scriptures, The Weight Loss Scriptures and many other books. Once 240 pounds and a size 22, she can testify to God’s goodness and healing power. Visit takebackyourtemple.com and receive more free health and weight-loss tips.
Charisma's Special Anointing Bundle. Get Charisma magazine plus these 2 Books - The Deborah Anointing & The Esther Anointing for only $24.97. Subscribe Now!
Hearing God's voice changes everything. You'll gain clarity, purpose and direction for your life. Start your journey to live your Life in the Spirit. Click here to draw closer to God!