Have you noticed that many prayer requests are for failing health in our churches? God wants his people to be healthy in every way – spiritually, mentally, and physically. The bible is filled with examples and healing scriptures.
Here are seven rules that are essential for restoring and maintaining good health.
1. Seek Jesus Out. In most instances of healing in the bible, the sick person went directly to Jesus for healing or someone else sought him on their behalf. Two blind men even followed Jesus into the house he was staying, crying out for him to heal them! A woman with an issue of blood fought through crowds just to touch the hem of his garment, confident that doing so would heal her.
If you need healing, how often are you seeking Jesus out through prayer? Are you acknowledging him as you go about your daily life? Don’t leave your healing to chance; stick to the one who can heal you like glue.
2. Exercise Your Faith. Jesus always healed in response to faith. In the story about the two blind men (Matthew 9:27-30), Jesus asked them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” When they responded that they believed, he said: “According to your faith let it be to you.” Then he touched their eyes and they were opened.
If you are having difficulty believing that Jesus can heal you, then pray “Lord, help my unbelief!” In addition, read stories of healing in the bible to strengthen your faith.
3. Eat with Wisdom. The bible warns us that whatever a man sows, that he reaps. It is unwise to expect good health and healing if you practice habits that destroy health, such as eating a regular junk/fast food diet. The food you eat becomes your flesh, blood, and bones. Daniel chapter 1 is a great example of this fact. In the story, Daniel purposed in his heart not to eat the king’s rich food but instead asked for vegetables and water only. Then, he requested his appearance be examined after 10 days.
When Daniel was re-examined, it was found that he looked better and healthier when compared with those who ate the rich food. While you don’t need to live exclusively off vegetables and water, a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein should be your goal to supply your body with the vitamins and minerals it needs to generate energy and support health.
4. Exercise Diligently. Proverbs 21:25 says, “He who is slothful in his work is a brother to him who is a great destroyer.” Consider taking care of your health as just part of your job. Aim to be a good steward over the body God has given you by exercising regularly as you are able. Jesus and the disciples had no choice but to walk everywhere they wanted to go. Our ancestors didn’t have a choice either – if they didn’t hunt or harvest food, they did not eat. However, we do have a choice – we can be diligent with exercise or live in idleness. But with each choice you sow, a reaping will come; please choose wisely.
5. Speak Healing Scriptures. Are you speaking life or death to yourself? If you are consistently talking about how sick you are, all you do is discourage yourself and encourage “dis-ease.” Instead encourage yourself and speak as if you are already healed. Build up your faith with healing scriptures. Encourage others and strive to be pleasant in your dealings with them. Proverbs 16:23-24 advises:
“The heart of the wise teaches his mouth, And adds learning to his lips. Pleasant words are like a honeycomb,sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.”
6. Laugh Often. Wisdom from Proverbs states: “A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones.” Do you know what the best thing to laugh at is? Your problems! After all, there is nothing too hard for God. So when you are faced with a problem, say “God I don’t know what you are going to do about this, but I can’t wait to see how you are going to get me out of this one!”
Buy a clean joke book or watch comedy programs and movies that you enjoy. Cultivate the ability to laugh at yourself and your own mistakes. Strive to fill your heart with laughter every day.
7. Walk in obedience. Ensuring that you are always walking in step with God’s will for your life is the best health insurance policy! Take the ultimate healing scripture to heart:
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.
Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and depart from evil.
It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones.
May you practice each of these seven rules daily and reap an abundance harvest of health and healing!
Kimberly Taylor is the author of 'The Weight Loss Scriptures' and many other books. Once 240 pounds and a size 22, she can testify of God’s goodness and healing power. Visit takebackyourtemple.com and receive more free health and weight loss tips.
The Charisma Podcast Network is now live. Featuring a variety of programs including news, leadership, inspiring stories, women's topics, sports, and even more.
Subscribe now for free!