Even if you lived in a perfect, unspoiled environment with no chemicals or poisons, your body would still produce its own toxins. You body creates many different toxins in an infinite variety of ways just to function.
In a perfect environment, dealing with your body’s internal toxins would be a cinch for your liver and excretory system. But your liver, GI tract, organs and tissues have been bombarded from without and within with far more poisons than they were ever designed to handle.
Take a look at some of these toxic enemies:
- If you have had repeated bouts of antibiotics, or even a single bout of superantibiotics, then you could be at ricks for developing an overgrowth of dangerous intestinal bacteria and yeast.
- Millions of french fries are being produced in our bodies every day and, if unchecked, will set the stage for cancer, heart disease and a host of other potentially fatal diseases.
- Too many sugars, fats, processed foods, fast foods and other devitalized foods are literally draining the life out of us as they constipate our bodies, introduce toxins, and drain us of our nutrient reserves.
- Fried foods, hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated fats, excessive amounts of polyunsaturated fats and food sensitivities cause inflammation in the body. We know that arthritis, autoimmune disease, asthma, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s disease and most cancers are associated with excessive inflammation.
When the Cure Causes the Crises
Without antibiotics, we’d be in trouble. Infections that might have snuffed out a life a century ago are little more than a nuisance today. But, we are just beginning to get the full picture of the toll that the overuse of antibiotics have taken on a generation of users.
Your intestines are filled with good bacteria, such as lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus, which prevent the overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria (bad bacteria) in your intestinal tract. When you take antibiotics, many of your body’s beneficial bacteria can be killed. Your good bacteria function like a firewall to keep pathogenic bacteria and yeast in check. So when antibiotics throw off the balance, the bad bacteria and yeast may grow like a wildfire, out of control with nothing to slow them down or stop them.
Bad Bacteria may produce endotoxins, which may be as toxic as almost any chemical pesticide or solvent that enters your body from outside. Overgrowth of bacteria in your small intestines can cause excessive fermentation, just like the fermentation that happens when you leave apple cider outside for too long. This fermentation process creates even more poisons such as indoles, skatols and amines.
Just like a biblical plague of locusts that ravaged ancient farmlands, yeast overgrowth causes damage to the intestinal lining. Candida albicans is a yeast that releases over 80 different toxins into the body. Some of the most toxic substances produced by candida albicans are acetaldehyde and ethanol, which is alcohol. For more information on this, refer to my book The Bible Cure for Candida and Yeast Infections.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has concluded that acetaldehyde is probably a human carcinogen, based on studies on its effects on animals. German factory workers at a plant that processed acetaldehyde were found to have a higher cancer rate than normal, according to a study by the International Agency for Research on Cancer in 1985. Acetaldehyde is also extremely toxic to the brain, even more so than ethanol. It causes memory loss, depression, concentration problems, and severe fatigue.
When you consider the potential danger of having strong, devastating poisons created inside your body, you will recognize that the toxins within can do as much or even more damage than environmental toxins.
A Strategy for Winning the War Against Toxins
You may feel overwhelmed by the monumental battle your cells, tissues and organs are faced with each day. As you look in the mirror, you may even see some of the results of this war: premature aging, sickness, chronic fatigue, arthritis, cancer, heart disease and so much more.
The good news is that you don’t have to sit by passively while your God-given entitlement to good health is stolen right out from under your nose. Your body is designed with an incredible system of defense that keeps you healthy even under extreme circumstances—and you never have to give it a second thought. But when the battle becomes overwhelming, when toxins pile up inside you over time, you liver and excretory system may eventually become overburdened. They simply cannot keep up.
However, you can choose to step in and even the score.
Your Detoxification Program
Here’s an overview of Dr. Colbert’s 28-day fasting program:
- Start by undergoing a three-week partial fast to strengthen and support your liver and improve your elimination through the GI tract.
- Then you will go on a juice fast for seven days. You may need to be monitored by your doctor for this period of time. If you cannot fast for seven days, you will see tremendous results by fasting only one or two days.
- You will follow my four-day guidelines for breaking your fast (later in the book). I would recommend that you go back on the special diet for your liver and GI tract for another two weeks and complete my 28-day fasting program.
As you go through his fasting program, you will discover the renewed energy, rejuvenated health, and a fresh, glowing sense of vitality that will absolutely astonish you.
This article is an excerpt from Don Colbert, M.D.’s book, Get Healthy Through Detox and Fasting.
Don Colbert, M.D., is board-certified in family practice and in anti-aging medicine. He also has received extensive training in nutritional and preventive medicine, and he has helped millions of people discover the joy of living in divine health.
The Charisma Podcast Network is now live. Featuring a variety of programs including news, leadership, inspiring stories, women's topics, sports, and even more.
Subscribe now for free!