We can come up with all kinds of excuses for why we continue our unhealthy eating habits and ignore the need to get up and move, but we’re only hurting ourselves with that attitude. So let this be the day that you and I stop procrastinating. Our health depends on it.
The biggest obstacles I face are lack of time and energy. By the end of the day, I just want to relax at home. That’s why I think this new plan of action is the key. Instead of waiting until I get home to think about exercising and eating right, I am going to make it an all-day process.
Lose Weight at the Office
Try incorporating these simple tricks into your day, and you’ll be saying goodbye to those extra pounds in no time. You’ll be healthier too.
1. Protein it Up in the Morning. Eating a protein and mineral rich breakfast at home will start your workday off right. According to a Purdue University study, having a high-energy breakfast helps lose the weight.
Make sure you have easy-to-make breakfast options in your fridge or pantry, so that you’re not tempted to grab a bite from McDonalds on the way in when you’re in a hurry.
Here are a few options: Eggs. Turkey Sausage or Bacon. Yogurt (low sugar). Oatmeal (low sugar). Fresh Fruit.
2. Take the Stairs and Walk the Block. When you get to work in the morning, opt for the stairs instead of riding the elevator up. This little bit of exercise will get the heart a pumpin’ and energized for the day. It could even save your life, according to some British researchers.
At lunch, take half an hour to walk the company lot or around the city blocks. Not only will you feel more energy afterwards, but you’ll also be getting your recommended 30-minute workout in before it’s quitting time.
3. Bag Your Lunch. After your walk, sit back, relax and enjoy your bag lunch. Your body and bank account will thank you if you take lunch to work. If you plan ahead, you’re more likely to pick healthier choices than if you’re at a restaurant looking at a menu full of delicious temptations.
Not sure what to pack? Try these bag lunch ideas I found on WebMD.com.
4. Quit Drinking Soda and Energy Drinks. Here’s why: Sodas and energy drinks (for the most part) are chalk full of sugar. The carbonation in sodas expand your stomach, opening it up even more so at the next meal you eat a lot. Energy drinks may give you the kick you need, but it’s temporary. The calorie and sugar intake far out way the benefits of “energy” drinks.
The answer: Drink water! Not convinced why it’s important to focus most of your fluid intake on just water? Then, check out what the Mayo Clinic has to say on the matter.
5. Load Your Office with Snacks. Everyone gets that mid-afternoon craving for a vending machine snack. When you find yourself staring into the glass at a Snickers bar or Doritos bag, shout at the top of your lungs: "Step Away from the Vending Machine!" If you’re not comfortable yelling it out loud, try blarring it in your mind until you walk away.
One way to beat the crave: Keep healthy snacks close at hand. You could have some trail mix or pretzels tucked away in your desk drawer. If you want to be a little adventurous, get a small cooler for under your desk and pile in healthy snacks.
Need ideas? Go to WebMD.com for a list of good snack options.
Hannah Goodwyn serves as senior producer for CBN.com.
Best Magazine Deal. Subscribe now and get 3 magazines for the price of 1. Get Charisma, SpiritLed Woman and Ministry Today, all for $24. YES - I want this deal!
3 Reasons Why you should read Life in the Spirit. 1) Get to know the Holy Spirit. 2) Learn to enter God's presence 3) Hear God's voice clearly! Click Here to draw closer to God!