When you aren’t sure where to begin, start here
Jeremy DeWeerdt, lead pastor of Rockford First Church in Rockford, Ill., offers five suggestions to those wanting to reach those blessed with children with special needs.
- Provide an environment where the child is treated like a VIP on every level.
- Work with individual families to find the best plan to minister to their children. The goal ought to be to minister to the specific needs of each child.
- Avoid labels. Say “children with Down syndrome” rather than “Down syndrome children.” Although it may seem like a subtle nuance, parents will appreciate the thoughtfulness behind your choice of words.
- Cultivate a sense of community among families with special needs. People need to know they are not alone.
- Practice acts of kindness, love and prayer to give families the support they need to make it through their week.
Draw closer to God. Experience the presence of the Holy Spirit every month as you read Charisma magazine. Sign up now to get Charisma for as low as $1 per issue.
Get to know the Holy Spirit and how to interact with Him on a daily basis. Learn to enter God's presence and hear His voice clearly for yourself! Go deeper in your faith with Life in the Spirit and change your life and destiny. Are you ready to start your journey?