Since 1999, my life has been dominated by an overwhelming burden to see a real Jesus revolution—a sweeping move of God that would so transform us that we would go and transform our world—and I am not alone in carrying that burden.
Many of you reading these words say, “That’s my heart too!”
But what do we do? How we do live this out? What will it take to see a real moral, cultural and spiritual revolution in our nation?
Prior to 1999, I longed to see Jesus lifted up in America and the nations. But it was in 1999, in the midst of a powerful season of revival, that God began to stir my heart about the theme of “revolution,” not in worldly terms of anger and rebellion and hatred and violence and intimidation—God forbid!—but in biblical, Jesus-centered, Spirit-empowered terms, overcoming hatred with love, overcoming evil with good and overcoming error with truth.
And it was in 1999 that I came to the deep realization that more of the same would only produce more of the same, and so the only hope was revolution—meaning radical, dramatic, sweeping change—if we are see our nation touched.
At TheCall DC in September 2000, we gave away more than 70,000 copies of our just-released book Revolution! calling for a whole generation of Jesus-loving young people to commit themselves to the Great Commission by life or by death.
Then, in 2002, being convinced that before we could see revolution in society there first had to be revolution in the house of God, we released Revolution in the Church: Challenging the Religious System With a Call for Radical Change.
And for these last 14 years, my voice has been just one among many calling for and praying for a Jesus revolution.
Of course, the enemy has been at work as well, and as I wrote in 2000, a cultural revolution in America was imminent, either heaven-sent or hell-bent.
Sadly, since 2000, the forces of darkness have done far more to transform our nation than have the people of God, and we stand now at a crucial moment in our history.
But this is not the time to be discouraged. Not at all. Instead, the bad news is the good news, since things have reached such a critical point in our society that we can no longer stand on the sidelines or remain neutral.
The time for revolution is now, and it is for such a time as this that God has brought you and me into the kingdom.
Here, then, are 10 practical steps that you can take to live out this revolutionary calling. If just 10 percent of the church of America lived like this, the nation would be shaken.
- I will spend quality time with God every day in prayer and the Word.
- I will walk in purity of heart and integrity of life in thought, in speech and in deed.
- I will not be ashamed of Jesus but will confess Him boldly as Lord and Savior.
- I will commit myself to the Great Commission, looking for opportunities to win the lost, restore the backslidden and make disciples.
- I will seek to be a peacemaker and ambassador of reconciliation, forgiving those who have offended me and seeking the forgiveness of those whom I have offended.
- I will walk in love toward those who despise and reject me, overcoming evil with good and hostility with kindness.
- I will pursue fellowship with brothers and sisters of like mind and will not separate myself from the body of Christ.
- I will be involved with a ministry of mercy, through serving or through giving, helping to relieve human suffering in a tangible way.
- I will stand for righteousness and justice, enlisting myself in a moral cause for the honor of the Lord and the good of society and speaking the truth in love, regardless of cost or consequence.
- I will seek the fullness of the Spirit, availing myself of everything God has made available for His people today.
Let’s work together with the Lord to see a Jesus revolution sweep the nation—and the nations.
If not now, then when? And if not you, then who?
Can I count you in? Now?
If your heart says “Yes,” then add your words of commitment here and share this article with at least 10 friends.
Michael Brown is author of The Real Kosher Jesus and host of the nationally syndicated talk radio show The Line of Fire on the Salem Radio Network. He is also president of FIRE School of Ministry and director of the Coalition of Conscience. Follow him at AskDrBrown on Facebook or @drmichaellbrownon Twitter.
For the month of August we are celebrating the 40th anniversary of Charisma. Join us for giveaways each weekday, pages from our past, and more. We're including an anniversary special where you can get 40 issues of Charisma for only $40!