While there is great diversity among the angelic host, each category of angels has a specific assignment and distinct attributes. But there are three primary functions listed in the Scriptures concerning all the angelic hosts.
1. According to Psalm 148:2, 5. All the angels are commissioned to praise and worship God. This is their first and most prominent ministry.
2. According to Hebrews 1:7, 14. All the angels are ministering spirits, flames of fire called to render service to those who will inherit salvation.
3. According to Psalm 103:20-21. Angels excel in strength, obey the voice of His Word, and perform God's Word.
Having studied the Scriptures on angels for over 30 years, read over 100 books on angels, and having had numerous angelic encounters myself, I have gathered a summary of the different types of angelic activity:
1. Minister the presence of the Lord
2. Messengers pronouncing God's will
3. Release understanding in dreams and visions
4. Help to give guidance and direction
5. Bring forth deliverance
6. Release protection
7. Active at the death of the saints
8. Release supernatural strength
9. Used as God's healing agents
10. Eternally engaged in praise and worship
11. Engaged in spiritual warfare
12. Bind up demonic powers and principalities
13. Called divine watchers
14. Deeply involved in the end times as reapers and gatherers
15. Execute God's judgments
Five Keys Concerning Angelic Release
After researching this subject for years, I have found five biblical keys that together stir our faith for greater angelic activity in our lives, cities and nations.
1. Believers are co-workers with Christ. The Holy Spirit moves upon the hearts of believers with the burden of the Lord to release God's vast heavenly resources into the earth realm by the power of intercession. Prayer is man's responsibility and opportunity to put out a "welcome mat" as an invitation for divine intervention.
2. God hears and answers prayers. Prayer and intercession influence and help determine the destinies of individuals and the direction of nations. Every prayer counts! What goes up must come down!
3. There is an Innumerable company of angels available. Heaven's army of angelic hosts are waiting for their next assignment and ready to be dispatched (Unemployed Angels) Jeremiah 33:22—"As the host of heaven cannot be numbered nor the sand of the sea measured." "But you have come to Mt. Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels" (Heb. 12:22).
4. Angels are involved in both the spiritual and practical affairs of mankind. Angels are released from God's throne in heaven into the affairs of man. They are involved in all facets of life in both the spiritual and natural everyday activities of man.
5. Angels are used to deliver God's answers to man's prayers. Angels are especially utilized and involved in delivering the answers to our prayers from the throne of God. In Genesis 28, it says that angels ascend and descend. Why? Perhaps they are bringing back down the very answers to our prayers.
3 Scriptural Examples of Angelic Intervention Through Intercession
From the Life of Abraham and Lot
Gleaning from the Lessons in Genesis 18 and 19
1. From Genesis 18. Prayerful example of Abraham's intercession for Sodom and Gomorrah.
2. From Genesis 19:1. Two angels tell Lot's urgent situation.
3. From Genesis 19:11. The ungodly men outside Lot's house are stricken with blindness.
4. From Genesis 19:16. The angels lead Lot and his family out of the city before the destruction takes place. This demonstrates the compassion of God.
5. From Genesis 19:22. Hurry, escape there, for I cannot do anything until ... This shows God's desire to deliver the righteous before the judgment occurred.
6. From Genesis 19:29. God remembered Abraham. This is the key verse. What did God remember? Abraham's intercession!
From the Life of Peter and the Church
Gleaning from the Lessons in Acts 12:5 – 12
1. From Acts 12:7-10
Peter was kept in jail, and an angel appeared to him. A light shone, woke Peter up, and the two chains which had held him fell off. He was told to "Dress yourself and put your sandals on." He then passed by two guards, the iron gate to the prison opened, and he went out into the street as the angel departed.
2. From Acts 12:11-12. Next, Peter went to the house of John Mark's mother where many had gathered to pray for him. A young woman named Rhoda came to door. She knew Peter's voice and went to tell the others, "You are insane" was their response. "It is his angel."
Peter kept on knocking. They went to the door, and opening it, were amazed. It really was Peter! This caused such excitement that Peter had to admonish them to calm down and not be so noisy in their excitement to see him delivered out of the hand of Herod and those Jewish authorities who had sought to end his life. Peter told them to inform James and the other apostles that he was alright after all. When the matter become known to the wicked king, he demanded the lives of the jail keepers as punishment that they had somehow managed to allow Peter to escape.
3. From Acts 12:5-12. The emphasis is on verses 5 and 12. What was the church doing before the angel was released? Praying fervently! Thus we have another example of angelic intervention as a result of man's intercession.
From the Life of Daniel
Gleaning from the Lessons of Daniel 9 and 10
1. From Daniel 9:20-23. "While I was speaking and praying and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the Lord my God for the holy mountain of my God, indeed, while I was speaking in prayer, the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation. He informed me and talked with me, and said, 'Daniel, I have now come to give you insight and understanding. At the beginning of your supplications the command went out, and I have come to tell you, for you are greatly beloved. Therefore understand the matter and consider the vision.'"
2. From Daniel 10:12-14. "Then he said to me, 'Do not be afraid, Daniel. For from the first day that you set your heart to understand this and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come because of your words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me for twenty-one days. So Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left there with the kings of Persia. Now I have come to make you understand what shall befall your people in the latter days. For the vision is yet for many days."
3. From Daniel 10:20-21. "Then he said, "Do you understand why I came to you? But I shall now return to fight against the prince of Persia; so I am going forth, and behold, the prince of Greece is about to come. "However, I will tell you what is inscribed in the writing of truth. Yet there is no one who stands firmly with me against these forces except Michael your prince."
Now It's Time to Pray!
The Release of Angelic Intervention
"Lord, we declare that heaven's arsenal is waiting to be released in response to man's invitation! So we lift our voices together and we ask that you release Messenger Angels to our cities and nations. We ask for the Guardian Angels to be released to protect our lives and families. We call for the Warrior Angels to come and fight against the powers of darkness hindering the Gospel of the Kingdom from manifesting in our regions. We welcome the angelic host to do the bidding of our Father and we partner together for Angelic Intervention for such a time as this in Jesus Great Name! Amen and Amen!"
Yes, it is true! Angelic intervention is released in response to man's intercession. It is time to intercede! Let heaven's angelic army be released into the affairs of man as a result of our invitation through prayer!
Dr. James Goll is the Founder of Encounters Network, Prayer Storm and helps carry on the work of Compassion Acts. For information on his online school visit: geteschool.com. James continues to live in Tennessee and is a joyful father and grandfather today.
For the original article, visit prayerstorm.com.
Draw closer to God. Experience the presence of the Holy Spirit every month as you read Charisma magazine. Sign up now to get Charisma for as low as $1 per issue.
Get to know the Holy Spirit and how to interact with Him on a daily basis. Learn to enter God's presence and hear His voice clearly for yourself! Go deeper in your faith with Life in the Spirit and change your life and destiny. Are you ready to start your journey?